Fender Bassman Combos: Opinions please...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jul 16, 2000.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    There's another thread on this Forum that says that with the exception on the BXR25, the Fender BXR series is terrible. It was also mentioned that the current Bassman series is a much better combo. Anyone else tried one? I played through a Bassman 400 at GC a while back, but can't recall anything remarkable about it (I usually test stuff with my own gear). Thoughts anyone?

Will C. [​IMG]

You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!

2. floatmyboat

Jul 10, 2000
    Well i have a Bassman100 and i think the sound is good. I compared my Bassman100 to my friends Crate BFX100, and the Bassman was better. It had a clearer sound and the performance of my equalizer was better on my bassman. i may not know much about bass stuff but i am very happy with my Bassman100. I recommend it for a low cost combo amp.
  3. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Try'd the 400 and found that it rattled when ever I played a B-flat. I guess it would be ok as long as brass instruments were not involved.

4. I have a Fender BXR60 that I'm actually quite pleased with. For the money, it was comperable to the Crate and Hartke combos (I really didn't like the Hartke kickback series). It has a simple, traditional sound that worls just fine with my Jazz bass, good midrange control keeps pace with my fretless as well. I don't know why people slam the BXR when for the money (about $300) I think they are comperable to the other combos out there. The Bassmans I have played I have thought were very good as well, although I thought they were a little over-featured. However, the chorus on the Bassman100 I played sounded fantastic!
  5. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ive tried the 60 and 100 bassmans.They ARE much better than the BXR line but overall i wasnt knocked out.I much prefer Ampegs and SWR WM in that price range.
  6. Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    I have a Fender Bassman 25.I bought it as a practice amp and it sounds just fine for what I am using it for.Not much power but it does sound good.
  7. Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    A studio I was just at had an old bassman combo with a 15 in it sitting in the corner. I beleive it was 15 watts, but I could be wrong (25W? maybe). I couldn't resist so I pulled out my bass and fired it up. This thing rocked, I loved it. I recomened buying one to anybody who likes a thick old school sound.

[This message has been edited by Scok (edited July 19, 2000).]
  8. Ok, time to revive this thread. This is verbatum what I posted over at the FDP. You owe it to yourself to at least try a Bassman; they really sound good! Here's my thoughts:

OK, I've been doubled over with GAS lately :) Have a new fretless MM Sterling on the way, and the past couple of days, I've come to the conclusion that my wonderful little Ampeg B328 just doesn't have enough thump, so time to upsize. Even got spousal approval :)

Went to GC today and tried out bigger Ampegs (BA115, B2, and the tweed model..) and, just for fun, the new Fender Bassman combos (400 2x10 and 100 1X15), as well as giving the SWR WM15 another crack.

Let me just say, I did a search on this forum and I'm kinda surprised that there's almost nothing about the new Fender amps here (at the FDP). I mean, hell, I was impressed with them! Here's how it went...

First, grabbed a Ric 4003 and an Am Std Jazz and one of those cheap green store cords and went to work. First up, Ampeg B2. Sounded pretty good, but not as lively as most Ampegs. Plus, it just didn't seem to get that loud.

Next up, WM15. Nice design and aesthetics, but I remembered why I returned one and exchanged it for my 328; just too cold. No warmth, not enough thump, but they are LOUD. Plus can drive another cab. Nice, but tone not for me.

All right, let's try that Fender Bassman 400 2x10 that got a great review in BP. DAMN! Sounds great! Nice control layout, good looks, LOUD, and warm and punchy. NOT a hi-fi amp, but a great sounding, thumpin BASS amp. There is just all kinds of tone here, and it's all good. And I can get one at Bass NW for under $900.00. I'd like to hear opinions from any and all that have tried them out, please :) I would also like to say that you really seem to have a lot of control over the sound, and it's easy to tweak. It's just a little lighter than a Redhead at 80 lbs, and I think that's lighter than a Metro, too. But it's about the size of a Redhead with that rack space twixt the amp and cab.

Next, the Bassman 100 1x15 combo. A lot like big brother in many ways, with just as much tone control. Lots of thump, good highs but they don't sizzle, like an SWR can. But that's not a bad thing, unless that's what you're into. It's reasonable size and heft 50 lbs and about $480.00 make it a killer in that price range. These are NICE amps!

Finally, the last two Ampegs. The BA115 sounds just awesome, it really does. But it just doesn't get that loud. At least compared to the WM15 or Fenders. That's the only issue that disqualifies it. They are great for the money, but just a bit underpowered. The tweed, classic looking one (1x15) didn't really do much for me at all. Much preferred the presence and articulation and thump of the BA115.

But the Fender Bassmans truly ruled the day. You guys should really try them; ESPECIALLY you P-Bassers out there. If you want some thump, there ya go. Again, lets' hear your comments! Good, bad, indifferent.

I'll just end with the note that if ONE amp ruled, there wouldn't be so many to choose from, as with cars, basses, and toilet paper ;)

9. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've always considered the BXR series as entry level at best.I've tried a number of Bassmans and find them to be serious amps(especially the 400) and a HUGE step up from the BXRs.The Bassman, though, is seriously flawed in it's engineering because it does not have extension cabinet capability. It is therefore pretty limited in flexibility. But at its price point it is fairly good value I think.The BXR on the other hand is just a cheap, and cheap sounding, amp.
  10. sublimebpp

Mar 20, 2000
    Hey guys, I have a BXR 200, and I really am in love with it. I bought it for $250 in perfect condition with all the original stuff and couldn't be more pleased with it. I think the new Bassman amps are just taking whatever is wrong with the BXRs, improving it, and calling it a Bassman.
  11. joen

Sep 2, 2000
    Currently using a Fender BXR 100 and an older Marshall 3510 Head w/ a 1550 (1 15") cabinet. Both are great for the money. I guess it all depends what your looking for out of an amp. I combine the BXR with the Marshall when using my RIC 4003. You can get some pretty amazing sounds out of the combination. Definitely use your own gear when trying out amps or at least use gear as close as possible to what you have. No sense getting home to find that the sound was like getting a grab bag and not knowing what was inside (sound).
  12. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    The BRX series are trash but the new Bassman look and sound like better quality, I would buy one for a practice amp.
  13. I played around with the Bassman 400 and 100 combos some more today. They really sound great. I think I'm coming down to the 400 as the top Fender candidate. I like the fact that it has so much power, I like that rackspace it has to maybe stick a tuner there. It's very well built and looks good. Did I mention it gets LOUD? It has a Bassman 400 amp head in it, which if I wanted to later I could just remove and use separately to run a 4x10 or other configuration, should it be required down the road. Can't do any of those things with the 100, so it's worth the extra bucks for me. Still want to try a GK combo and Ashdown MAG 2x10, too. Fender is currently front-runner.
  14. just so you all know, fender announced a bassman 200 (200watts though 1x15) and the bassman 400 head (350w at 4ohms) so if you like the tone of the bassman 400 but want more then just a 2x10, you can go with the head and a seperate cab situation.