1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender bassman head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cvictorh, Apr 12, 2009.

1. cvictorh

cvictorh

Feb 14, 2009
    Mid-Michigan
    How would you guys rate the Fender Bassman all tube head? I was looking at trying it out and seeing what I think of the tube sound. I am looking to step up from a combo and not sure if I want to go tube or not so I figured I would try it out and see what I thought. Just wondering how you would rate them to other tube heads and if that one is a good deal or not. Also, in general, how good are the bassman line of products because that store also has a decently priced cab and solid state amp that i might get otherwise.

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It is seriously badass. One of the best heads out there all-tube wise, imho.

Edit: Woops, way to not read the link. I'm speaking of the Bassman 300 pro, which is excellent. That is basically a guitar amp, right there, though some guys use them with very sensitive cabinets.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It's only 50 watts (at best) so it may not be much of a step up from your combo. One of my practice amps is a solid state Yorkville rated at 50 watts and it'll play louder than the bassman. But, the Bassman is tube, so people think that makes them automatically superior. In my opinion, the Bassman is inferior to most other tube bass heads of the same power. Try it out through a decent cabinet and decide what to do.

I'm not much of a fan of Fender's bass amps. There are many other good brands on the market. But some of their higher powered newer stuff is decent if you can get it at a good price.

4. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
  5. The only all-tube amp I've tried is the Ampeg SVT Classic, which gave me a bit of a drooling problem afterwards! The SVT classic is 300 watts. I've also been looking for an upgrade to tubes, but don't have the $$. Right now I have the SVT-350 (solid state). Pretty damn good for the amount of talent I have. :bag:

6. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    It all boils down to $$$$$$ ...... the Fender solid State amps and there Hybrid stuff is really good sounding ...IMHO ( sound is very subjective ) ... I personally have a Bassman Pro 1200 and like the sounds I'm getting .... the Ampeg stuff is good sounding also .... just try as much equipment as you can with your guitar and possibly your speaker cabinet ... and after time you'll stumble across a sound you'll be happy with ... me I'm saving up for that Bassman 300