1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bassman ID Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MonsterTruck88, Oct 15, 2009.

1. MonsterTruck88

MonsterTruck88

Sep 4, 2008
    Anyone have a clue as to what Bassman model this is? It popped up on my local craigslist, and I emailed the seller asking for a year/make/model and he had no idea, even though he claims to be the original owner. Asking $1800 for it.

[​IMG]

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the serial numbers on the back as well as what the company is called (fender changed the rest of their name after the word fender a few times) should be able to tell you what year it is if you go to the right site.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    looks to be early 60's - beat to death and not worth close to what the guy is asking. Could be modded to hell and back to. This is an item that is crying out for a full go through by a tech in order to get a decent valuation for it. Even mint I would think about 2/3rds of what the seller is asking - maybe less ...

4. wheresmyric

wheresmyric

Apr 16, 2006
    It's a late 1963 - early 1964 6G6-B Bassman. Price is a little steep for the condition, IMHO.

5. MonsterTruck88

MonsterTruck88

Sep 4, 2008
    Thanks guys!

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It's an OK bass amp (depending on how saggy you like your bass amp, and how loud you need to be), but a very good guitar amp. Not the coveted tweed Bassman combo amp (like the '59 Bassman reissue), but a great little guitar amp.

The cream Tolex with the "chocolate" control panel and the "Presence" control on the far right pin it down to the late '63 to early '64 era as wheresmyric says. The reason the original owner doesn't know what model it is is because in 1963 there was only one Bassman model available from Fender. The amp changed over the years, but until about 1969 when they came out with the Super Bassman, the amp was always just "Bassman". It's got a pair of 6L6 tubes so it's about 45 WRMS, the cabinet has a pair of 12" speakers and it's a bit overpriced for the condition it's in.

John

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    This site gives Fender amp ID details and shows average prices.
    http://www.ampwares.com/

That's worth maybe half what the seller is asking.