1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender bassman into a yorkie cab..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gregmon79, Mar 30, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    So I have a fender bassman 410H that the L pad went out on. It's rated at 300W continuous and 600W peak. I was going through my storage space today, haven't been there for a few years, and I found an old yorkie 210 that I blown woofers out of years ago. Anyway, I took 2 10's out of the fender and threw them into the yorkie cab after taking the blown ones out. I plugged my 400 yorkie bassmaster into and it actually sounds pretty decent. My question is, am I going to be ok pushing these woofers in this cab the way I just described above? When I took the woofers out of both cabs, the yorkie said 16 ohms and the fender said 8 ohms on the magnet parts. It sounds pretty nice but Id also like to know if I'd be safe running my GK 1001 RB through this "new" 210 with the fender woofers in the yorkie enclosure? Obviously I'm not gonna be bumpin the cab with the GK like its a fEARful cab or something. But am I safe at lower volumes pushing this cab with the GK or should I just stick with pushing it with the yorkie? And what is the biggest thing I should watch or listen for in this cab now that I've swapped speakers out? Comments and opinions please.

2. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    And if anyone is watching this thread, please let me know if any of you think it's best to take the right two, left two, bottom two, upper two or criss crossed from each to put in this particular cab.

3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    So I have a fender bassman 410H that the L pad went out on. It's rated at 300W continuous and 600W peak. I was going through my storage space today, haven't been there for a few years, and I found an old yorkie 210 that I blown woofers out of years ago. Anyway, I took 2 10's out of the fender and threw them into the yorkie cab after taking the blown ones out. I plugged my 400 yorkie bassmaster into and it actually sounds pretty decent. My question is, am I going to be ok pushing these woofers in this cab the way I just described above? When I took the woofers out of both cabs, the yorkie said 16 ohms and the fender said 8 ohms on the magnet parts. It sounds pretty nice but Id also like to know if I'd be safe running my GK 1001 RB through this "new" 210 with the fender woofers in the yorkie enclosure? Obviously I'm not gonna be bumpin the cab with the GK like its a fEARful cab or something. But am I safe at lower volumes pushing this cab with the GK or should I just stick with pushing it with the yorkie? And what is the biggest thing I should watch or listen for in this cab now that I've swapped speakers out? Comments and opinions please.

4. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    And if anyone is watching this thread, please let me know if any of you think it's best to take the right two, left two, bottom two, upper two or criss crossed from each to put in this particular cab.

5. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I'd suggest posting in the amplifier section, not the instrument setup section. You'll get more visibility to the folks who know amp/speakers.

John

6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Sorry, I posted it there but know one was responding so I posted here thinking I'd get some feedback.

7. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    +1 There are some knowledgeable & helpful guys who I'm sure will chime to get you straight.

8. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    Check your impedance is #1

If it sounds good it is good is #2

Rock out is #3

That's all that matters

9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    That's what I was figuring. It's a little dark/bassy sounding but it works and sounds pretty good to me. As stated the magnets I took out of the cab said 16 ohms on them. The fenders I put in the cab said 8 ohms. It should be fine right?

10. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    You're probably OK - I found this audio DIY website that might help you verify it.

http://lenardaudio.com/education/05_speakers_3.html

Almost at the bottom of the page is a section headed "Load Impedance" which has a graphic showing different speaker wiring arrangements. How they are wired determines the load.

You need to know what the minimum load your amp is rated for and make sure your speakers are wired so they collectively meet or exceed that number.

You might try covering the empty holes if you haven't done so already.

That's all I've got, good luck.

11. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Hey thanks, I'll def give this link a look over.