1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender bassman tube repair in nyc?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbass888, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Hi fellow TB'ers

I am looking to get an old bassman repaired here in nyc and would love to recommendations for a reputable tech.
    Thanks in advance! Here is a sub par pic of the head;)

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1383444697.714914.

2. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    I've got a couple professional techs in NYC that I can recommend.
    What's better for you? Midtown Manhattan or Staten Island?

3. im near midtown upper west towards columbia.. and thank you!

4. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    In Midtown the place that all of the touring acts, studios and rehearsal spaces go to is is dBm Pro Audio on west 37th. They are not cheap but they are GOOD. Ask for John Frondelli. They have a site on the web.

5. Thank you very much! I will on contact them this week. I appreciate it since my knowledge of tube amps is minimal. I love the sound of these old ones and had one 30 years ago back in high school.

6. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    Full disclosure: I shoot the breeze with John on one of the tech boards. I have nothing to gain by sending you to him, just want to hook you up with someone who knows what he's doing.

7. Much appreciated. I am sure they can restore the amp to its former glory. I love the tone of these old heads

8. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    Just realized two things:

1. There's a thread here about listing good amp techs:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/good-amp-techs-519922/

Someone else mentioned the same shop on page 8 or 9. They had similar comments: not cheap, but very professional.

2. jrfrond is a member on this site.

9. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    You know, even though dBm is closer to you, you might consider the guy in Staten Island. He's not a big operation like dBm, but he's probably NYC's best expert on restoring old Fender blackface amps. John Stokes.

Full Disclosure: I have nothing to gain by recommending this guy either.

10. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    Did you ever follow up with one of those guys?