1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bassman TV Duo Ten or Traynor Dynabass DB400T?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave12, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Dave12

Dave12

Apr 28, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Street price is about the same. Which would you buy and why? I play rock and jazz – usually a Gretsch Electrotone bass. Studio and small venues. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,
    Dave

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I don't have personal experience with either, so take this with a salt lick--but I can tell you that the new Bassman amps have gotten plenty of rave reviews for their tone, while I have never seen even one comment about the Traynor.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Then you haven't looked in the right places. The Traynor is a very capable amp. Loads of power and very reliable. I'd take it over the Fender any day. It just doesn't have the "cool" look the Fender has with its faux vintage look. But I buy an amp for sound, adequate power and reliability, not looks and the Traynor has all of that.

The Traynor warranty is the best there is and in the rare circumstance you need to get it serviced, you're far more likely to get it done faster.

4. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    Don't let the faux look fool you, the Duo Ten is a surprisingly good sounding amp. I own one.

I was skeptical as anybody when I tried one for the first time and was blown away by it's tonal capabilities. Price wise, they are available for 850 to 900 on the street. The biggest thing it lacks is stuff like effects loops, tuner out/mute. parametric EQs or other "modern" features. I handle all that stuff on mine with a POD X3 live anyway. Fundamentally,apples-to-apples, I have not heard a better combo amp for its price and I've looked. It reproduces the clank of my Ric and the mwah of my Jazz with a natuaral pleasing clarity, not a sizzling raspy digital farty bark. (Not implying the Traynor sounds like that but some others I've auditioned do)

But that's my opinion.

Go to your local music store with your favorite bass and play though it.