1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Bassman TV Experience Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by P-oddz, Aug 23, 2012.

1. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I own (and love) a Bassman TV15. It's been treating me right for a couple of years now, but have seemed to have some sporadic issues as of late.

My signal has been cutting out randomly on the last few shows but not consistently enough to think that something is really wrong with the amp.

It was cutting out on a gig we did back in July (my first issue I've ever had with it). I took it home, drove the hell out of it, and couldn't get it to fault again. Two shows and multiple practices go by with no problems. Last weekend we do a show and 3/4 of the way through the first set, the signal starts cutting again.

As of this point - I look at all my settings on the amp and realize between setting up and playing, my GAIN knob got cranked much higher than I usually play at. I make it through the rest of the first set choking out once or twice- take a break and turn off my amp (thinking I may be overheating it). I turn the gain down, turn the amp off, and come back for a second set with no problems (other than the tone wasn't exactly my usual settings as I was trying to go easy on it).

SO.... has anyone else had experience with this amp cutting out? Or similar Class D combos like this?

Bearing in mind I find this amp's bread and butter to be pushed pretty hard (and also bearing in mind these shows were outdoors)- can it be that I was just inadvertently driving the amp too hard/too loud and it was overheating and cutting the signal?

Any advice/knowledge would be great.

2. Well, for an amp with tube(s) that is acting erratically, the first suspect is the tube(s).

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, and also check the effects loop. Might be dirty, so run a plug from pre out to power in, and see if that helps.

4. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I suppose that this makes a lot of sense.

As in a "hmmm.... that actually makes a lot of sense...why the hell did I not jump to that conclusion from the start because it's completely practical?" kind of way.
    Thanks for the advice. I've read that preamp tubes generally have a long life span, so I kind of brushed it out of my head. But that is definitely something I could check into.

Thanks for the advice RickenBoogie - but I think you might have amps confused. I'm rocking the Bassman TV combo.

th_fe2248300000-xl. th_1600-BassmanTV115_rear.

No effects loops on it.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Ok, not familiar with that amp, but most amps that DO have a loop, that's usually where the problem is.

6. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks!
    I will definitely keep that in mind for any future issues I may encounter with different amps!

7. Same thing happened to me with my TV Duo Ten. I was pushing it pretty hard at a gig in March and it cut out three or four times. I wasn't sure if it was overheating because I'd never had that happen before. My guitarist suggested that maybe it was an electrical issue at the bar we were playing in. All of our stuff was plugged into the same circuit due to there being very few outlets where we were setup. We were plugged into power strips along with the house PA and a bunch of TV's and neon signs. I was so concerned about it happening again, that I haven't used it since.

8. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    I have one, it's been great. Seems the gain definitely allows you to push the pre well beyond what the amp section can be happy with... not sure what's going on with the design, but it does allow you to milk every watt out of it. I'm betting that maybe the digital amp is getting pushed too hard. I'm surprised how loud it gets. I've never experienced any drop outs though, I agree you should check that the tube is seated and maybe try a replacement... been thinking about dropping a tung sol in mine, if it doesn't sell.

9. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Same thing happened at the last show!
    Guitarist suggested I switch my power supply position so I wasn't last in the chain of current draws (just as a grasping for straws type option). Whatever it was (or a combo of all three things - power supply, letting amp cool off and turning down the gain) the second set went off without any issues.

So you haven't used it since? This amp has been really solid for years for me - not enough to be afraid of its performance anyway. You didn't try it in practice or anything to see if you could replicate its failure?

10. Nope, never touched it since...

Probably making it's way into a trade soon.

I also have the TV Twelve which I use for practice and very low power gigs and I plan on keeping that. I haven't driven that one very hard at all and it hasn't let me down...

11. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I love this amp for that reason. It sounds great pushed hard, and I've received many compliments on its tone. Granted, I'm using a series of gain stages in front of it that might add to the cutting out I'm experiencing, but haven't had this problem until recent. Are you running straight into it?

12. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    No, I'm running a bank of effects in front of it, actually stacking gain stages with a blender (fuzz and clean).
    I have run the front end so hot that I thought I could have a melt down, but the amp took it. It got seriously hot.
    Once again, there is so much gain in the front end of these it seems they can be pushed right into destruction, if left wide open.

13. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Attaboy!
    I'm running an Aggie Tone Hammer for an eq and its gain ability - into a VT Bass (for its grind) - into the amp. It's kind of ridiculous, but magically delicious all the same. For certain sections I'll stack on either my Distortron or a Fender Sub-lime.

I think I'm going to swap the tube (for safety's sake) and just really make sure I'm trying to get the best solution for a power source as is available at any given gig - and keep my eye on it. I don't know of any reputable amp repair guys so I'm hoping that these are just random tube or power anomalies and not symptoms of a bigger issue.

Maybe in the meantime I should invest in a solid DI box in case of emergencies...