Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vtpiguy, Jan 30, 2002.

1. vtpiguy

vtpiguy

Jan 30, 2002
    I have not played bass in over 20 years, and got the urge again, so I broke down and bought a Fender P-Bass (American of course) and a Fender Bassman 400 head with 1 410 cabinet. Way too many knobs and controls for me to figure out by messing around w/o some more knowledge. The documents that came with the amp leave a lot to be desired. Any suggestions, such as other books, manuals or ?? It wold be most appreciated, as I really want to get back into the music as my stress reliever and "friend" again.

Thanks...

2. finn74

finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    Congradulations on your purchase. I have played through this amp befor and am somewhat familiar. I would suggest that you set the 3 tone shaping knobs to 12 o'clock (no boost or cut) and adjust the treble and bass to your liking. You may also want to disengauge the enhancer button. I 've found that this feature really took some of the life out of the sound. Good luck

3. Hey Vtpiguy, welcome to Talkbass, and back to bass playing. I have a Bassman 60 (which died on me) but have played through all the new series Fender bassman amps, and yes, they can appear confusing, especially if you haven't played in a while. I agree with what Finn74 said about the enhance button. When engaged, the enhance button scoops the mids for a slap type sound, but, to me all it sounded like was muffled; wasn't for me.

On the new Bassman amps, if you look closely you'll notice that they have both a mid level AND a mid frequency knob. I found that the mid frequency knob did more to give me sound I wanted than the mid level knob. Try leaving the mid level at 12 o,clock, and start the mid frequency knob off completely, then turn it up in half number increments till you hear something you like. When you get a tone that you like, then start moving the mid level knob back and forth to fine tune that sound. Be prepared to sit down for at least a half hour to really get to know the amp. It'll be time well spent.

Good luck,
    Mike J.