Fender Bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowfrequency, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Hi folks,

I have the opportunity to buy an early 70's Fender Bassman combo amp (silverface, 4x10). It's apparently a 9/10 cosmetically and 10/10 functionally (new Groove Tubes installed last year).

I'm going to check it out this Thursday.

The asking price is $600 Canadian (~$400 US). Does this sound reasonable?

2. Really? No opinions on this?
  3. Patience, skywalker. Not everyone checks TB every few hours.

...unless they're at work and bored...like me.

Have you checked Harmonycentral.com? Check the guitar amp database as they mix guitar and bass amps together there.

It's good for identifying major flaws or strengths. Ignore the ratings as they are way too subjective.
  4. $400 sounds about right. bear in mind that the 70s silverface is not a desirable as the 68 and older pre cbs chassis bassmans. im sure it will still sound good, is it 50 or 100 watt?
  5. Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    I was not aware that Fender made a "Bassman" in combo form after the 5f6A tweed. Basically the tweed Bassman became the Super Reverb in a 4-10 combo. Now, they made Bassman piggyback head + speaker cab; is this what you mean??

I've never been crazy about a Bassman for a bass amp; they make great guitar amps though.

6. Actually, they're closed back, with about (4) 1" ports on the front baffle, but they would still be considered useless for bass by today's standards.

Having said that, I dig them, and they are good for low volume jams, but nothing more.

I'd pay no more than $200 for one.

7. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I used a silverface last month and I agree. Great guitar amp, poor bass amp.
  8. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Here's my thumbs down.....great sound with a strat though
  9. Yep, the Bassman Ten. Here's what I did with a Bassman Ten chassis I got that somebody had already chopped off the 4x10 part - turned it into the monster 2-15 tube bass combo. Ugggh, it's heavy, with 2 Altec 421A's. Nice sound, and pretty loud for 50 Ultralinear Watts.

Psycho, if you happen into a spare large size Fender Bassman Ultralinear-era capacitor cover, let me know. Those caps are still open to the world like that.....