Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Sound of the Police, Nov 22, 2000.

1. Hello,
    Does anyone know anything about Fender Bassman combo amps? Any views or oppinions? I'm looking at either the 200 watt or the 400 watt. I thought maybe since their guitar amps are the best out there, their bass amps might be as good.
    Thanks,

Kenan Sugar O'Brien
    The Sound of the Police

2. basspla915

basspla915

Mar 28, 2000
    Bangor, Maine
    As a former, and recovering, guitar player, you may get some argument that Fender has the best guitar amps out there. Good, yeah, the best, well, thats a stretch...

As to bass amps, Fender traditionally has never been quite able to conquer this area. I use to have two of the BXR amps, not bad, but not great. I tried one of the new Bassman amps out and while it is an improvement, there's still a whole lot better out there for the money.

3. b30307

b30307

Nov 18, 2000
    Have tried the new Bassmans . Yeah , they're just okay - not better or worse tha any similar transistor combos.
    The old BXR 300's are good , but pretty bottom heavy, not even close to a modern hi-fi type bass amp . Depends on the sound you like . Good for blues or a U2 type low end .
    There were however "classic" Fender bass amps long ago ,( 60's-70's ) .The original Bassmans were all-tube amps . The Bassman 50 and 70 are around , but only good for very low volume gigs or guitarists wanting a thick
    sound . The Bassman 100 and 135 are still useable and okay for rock gigs . If your guitarist(s) use Marshalls though , forget it . Otherwise , these are really great sounding amps w/ modern speaker cabs . Since they're all-tube, they sound louder than their rated wattage . -and very cheap compared to a new tube amp.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I tried one out on a couple gigs a while back, and really dug it (400 watt combo). Check out the thread from a while back by using the search feature, I had a fairly detailed review.

5. Another positive vote for the 400 combo; I own one :)

The new Fenders have a very ballsy sound; distinct from Ampeg and SWR. Not saying superior, just different, and to ME, better for my tastes. See Gard's thread; I'm in there somewhere ;)

6. Hey,
    Thanks a lot for the input. What kind of influences do you pro-Bassman players have and what kind of sound are you looking for?
    Thanks again,

Kenan Sugar O'Brien
    The Sound of the Police

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, i have to say Fender guitar amps ARENT the best that out there! No way!

Ive tried the Bassman amps a couple times. I still wasnt a big fan, but it was a HUGE improvement over the BXR series (which i own, but dont use). The BXRs are trash, as far as im concerned. So i hate to say it, but the Bassman combos are pretty workable amps, though they arent of my personal preference.

8. Hey that's alright, Angus :) You can't be perfect on EVERY count :D

SWR's sound doesn't do it for me, and I recognize their greatness. That's why we have so many different brands out there to choose from. Something for everyone. But I LOVE my Bassman!

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    :D

Well, Fender is no Bag End, but itll work! :D ...Maybe. ;)