Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender BG-29 Acoustic Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barneyboom, Jun 10, 2005.

1. barneyboom

barneyboom

Jun 8, 2005
    Hello

I was wondering if anyone else has one of these and gigged with one... I love playing about on it but gigging with it has been a bit of a nightmare.

Basically, I have just started doing acoustic gigs with one (plugging it in through the Fishman oboard thing) and it is a bit of a pain for two reasons.

Firstly, the middle 2 strings (probably due to a higher bridge postition) are far louder than the bottom and top strings when I plug it in. Perhaps I could use a compressor or limiter but I don't want to take away the response and senstitivity too much... Would a limiter be best? What settings?

Secondly, the guitar is feeding back a lot. Is there any simple way I am missing to eliminate feedback? Turning the gain down is fine but I need some output.

I hope there are some other people out there with experience of this. :D

2. I used to have a BG29, and now have an Ovation ABG.

The uneven string response is undoubtedly due to the saddle of the ABG not being evenly in contact with the Piezo pickup strip underneath. Take your guitar to a luthier and ask them to look at the bridge. It may be a simple job of reseating the bridge, or they may need to level the underside to get a really even, flat surface. Not a big job by any means, but until it's fixed you'll have uneven response. Very frustrating.

The feedback thing is very common with ABG's - the minute you up the volume you'll get some feedback or "howling" notes. I usually tried to combat this by dialing out the mids and using the mid-sweep to try to eliminate the offending frequency. Alternatively use EQ on the amp to try to dial out the worst of the howl. The result you're aiming for is just to eliminate or reduce the feedback to the point where you can play and manage it. Another trick is to move the speaker, or stand somewhere so that the body of the guitar isn't directly in front of the speaker (well in front of you, in front of the speaker). Finally, and this is the trickiest solution, is to try to get the rest of the group to play quieter (in-ear monitors?) so that you don't need to crank your amp up so loud, causing feedback.

You can get feedback buster rubber inserts that go in the soundhole of acoustic guitars to reduce feedback, but I'm not sure how successful these would be for bass since the frequencies will be lower and you get a low rumbling feedback rather than a squeal. They may also not fit the soundhole of a bass....

I really liked my BG29. BIG sound for such a little bass. The short scale meant getting strings for it was a bit of a bugger and intonation was tricky, but it really sang. Surprisingly nice bass. I moved to the Ovation because I really fancied a 5 string. I now have it tuned EADGC. I keep thinking from time to time about selling it, but then I play it and it's such a unique and different sound to the electric basses I have... :bassist:

3. barneyboom

barneyboom

Jun 8, 2005
    Thank you for your reply.

I think that I may take it to the repair shop and get the bridge sorted.

And the feedback I guess I shall have to live with.

The high C string sounds like an interesting choice, much acoustic guitar mimickery could be done up in the clouds there. You are blessed with much bass wisdom and peace to you for imparting it.

:ninja:

4. Many amps designed specifically for acoustic guitars have notch filters for combatting the feedback issue - so it's a well known problem... You might be able to find a little stand-alone filter / effects box for this purpose. Normally it's only one main frequency that you need to deal with. Practice playing notes one at a time, letting them ring out. When you get one that produces instant feedback, then try using the on-board EQ (mid and high cut) to try to shape the sound and reduce the feedback on that note. It just takes a little time to work it out.

EDIT: If using the onboard EQ doesn't eliminate feedback you might want to try out one of these: http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-BOS-GEB7--brand-36.html BOSS GEB7 EQ pedal. -15dB of gain at roughly the offending frequency and you're all set.

5. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    LR baggs also sells an outboard notch filter.
    I think its called the gigpro.

danman