1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender bid gets knocked down!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sadowsky, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    I am very pleased to announce that after 6 years of litigation, we (about 17 makers) have prevailed in our attempt to prevent Fender from trademarking their body shapes. The Appeals court of the USPTO threw out every argument Fender made and ruled in our favor that the Strat, Tele and P body shapes are generic. Any further attempt by Fender to trademark other body shapes would fail, based on this ruling.

You can read the entire decision here:
    http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=91161403&pty=OPP&eno=246

This is literally a David slaying Goliath decision and a great day for all instrument makers. :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Roger

2. NoHomework81

NoHomework81

Jul 27, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Great news! Congratulations!

Maybe you can get the loser to pay the attorney fees! :ninja:

3. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    That's excellent to hear Roger!! Congratulations! Fender is just mad because you make better J-Basses than they do! LOL

4. Nice! I guess you'll keep making jazz and P basses then. Good news!!!:hyper:

Maybe that's why they hiked up their prices.

5. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Without getting into the ruling, does this mean than ANY body shape is generic? Could one, for example, copy a Sadowsky or Lakland style now?

6. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    woot! awesome!

7. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Wow - I didn't even know this was an issue. I wonder where Fender would have drawn the line? Hmmm. Glad that didn't pass. By the way - I'm loving my new NYC which, strangely enough, feels so different from my Fender Jazz...

Congratulations, Roger!

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Frankly, I was rooting for Fender in this one.

9. That's a great win for you Roger!
    I noticed you don't talk about the jazz, do they have a trademark on it?
    Because your jazz body is slightly different than the fender...

10. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I can see how that sucks for Fender, but I'm sure glad they lost!

11. boabski2k

boabski2k

Dec 24, 2008
    Scotland
    +1

The less copied designs = more varied and creative designs.

I'm sorry to say when i see a pbass or a strat, whether it is made by Sadowsky/ESP or anyone else I think Fender.

I can't see how (i'll say recreating rather than copying) recreating fender models makes good marketing sense to anyone else rather than Fender.

12. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Bull butter! These designs are age-old now, and trying to prevent others from using them in various forms is ridiculous.

13. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Because people like what is familiar.

14. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I agree, and I'm sure Fender isn't hurting too bad even thought theres so many other brands that offer a similiar styled bass.

Just saying it sucks to lose lol.

15. Good result. Fender left it way late in the day to think of this. I'm surprised they got away with trademarking the headstocks, even though that was some time back.

16. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I am sure a lot of builders can breathe again.

17. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Does anyone own trademarks on acoustic guitar body shapes?

This will not put a damper on builders being creative.

I think the best analogy to this is if Mercedes or Ford decided to now attempt to trademark a 4 wheeled automobile.

Roger

18. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    All I can say is thank you Leo Fender. The man was certainly a genius and influenced the direction of popular music and instrument design worldwide. I wonder where Talkbass would be if Leo hadn't invented his classic designs. It really is unfortunate that a lot of instrument makers take credit for Leo's work. Yes they may have made improvements but Leo was the catalyst. I know I would not have been able to make the music I do if it wasn't for Fender's designs.:)

19. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Not ANY body shape is generic. If Lakland or Sadowsky were to create a new bass guitar with a unique body shape, they could trademark that body shape. However if they were to attempt to trademark a current design (that they argued is based on Fender's generic design), they'd likely be defeated by their own prior victory.

20. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    I'm just wondering why everyone is so happy about this...
    Surely if you were a builder yourself you would come up with your own designs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.