1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Blacktop Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stranger Danger, Mar 20, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
  2. Lack of versatility ? I have no idea what you mean. I am able to get a wide range of tones from mine. In the music I am playing I end up dialing down a lot of the bite but it's certainly there if I want it.

comatosedragon likes this.
  3. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I think he was hoping for coil taps maybe?

I liked the P. It was actually the only one I tried because thats all they had in my area. I ended up getting the J because it really has all my favorite things: the J body (sexier with better balance), the J neck (faster pussycat faster) and the P pups (thick as a brick).

Squittolo likes this.
  4. I got the Precision because I hate the Jazz body and it has a Jazz bass neck which I really like. As an added bonus, I like the sound(s) a lot.

5. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    Yeah out of all the MP's & Blacktops I like those with the humbuckers. I've never seen a BT-P yet but I've played many MP-J's & loved the sound & feel. Now that you bring yours up, P body with those pickups & a J neck, MIM, sounds more appealing. How' the neck compared to other models?

I don't know what the Modern C neck is but I like the C neck on the Reggie Hamilton model. Geddy Lee is Thin C. Very nice. Can't keep up w/ all their variations.

PawleeP likes this.
  6. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Central Florida
    Is it me or does it seem odd that the Jaz have p pick ups and the P has double jazz pick ups? I wanted a Jazz neck but with humbuckers.... How do those Black Top P's sound?

7. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Unfortunately the Blacktop P bass has a p bass neck not a jazz neck.

Neck Material: Maple

Neck Finish: Gloss Urethane

Neck Shape: Modern "C"

Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)

Fingerboard Material: Rosewood

Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (241 mm)

Number of Frets: 20

Fret Size: Medium Jumbo

Nut Material: Synthetic Bone

Nut Width: 1.625" (41.3 mm)

Position Inlays: White Dot

Truss Rods: Standard Truss Rod System

Truss Rod Nut: 3/16" Hex Adjustment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I think that was the point. To make something different.:cool:

9. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    Modern C is a precision neck?

10. It feels smaller to me than the Precision necks I have felt. I am not an expert on Fender basses so that was assumption on my part.

I see the difference now. The older ones were 1.75 at the nut. The newer ones are 1.625 and a Jazz is 1.5. I haven't played many Fenders since the early 80s. I got this Blacktop because I joined a band that plays older music and I thought it fit in better than my Alembic.

Thanks for the clarification.

11. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Modern C refers to the shape of the neck not the nut width. It can be confusing.

12. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    No worries. I like them both myself.

13. johnny bassic

johnny bassic

Mar 7, 2013
    can you tell the year of this bass from the headstock?

Attached Files:

14. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    No. Why post that here?

15. If Fender ever makes the leap to producing a 5-string version of the Jazz Blacktop (double P version), I will be in, big until they do, I will have to wait....

Would be very cool if they decided to do that!

16. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    No kidding? I need to play and hear the BT-P.
    I'm imagining a black bridge on it.

17. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    The P would be perfect with an ebonol no-dot fingerboard similar to the squier jazz v.

Lame specs sheet explains nothing about electronics other than name. No details.

18. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    If you want the double jazz buckers, I would definitely recommend the NAFTA blacktop p over the MIC modern player. It's just a better sounding stick to me.

19. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    Yeah I've got to get my hands on one and hear it. Gotta love nafta.

20. Liam76

Liam76

Dec 28, 2012
    Hope to join the club soon! I've always wanted to do a double p-bass pickup Warmoth build, just like my Brother's 1980's Mockingbird.

Wouldn't mind the BT Tele with the neck humbucker, like my franken-Fernandes.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021