1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Blacktop Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stranger Danger, Mar 20, 2013.

Tags:
  1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    And you bring up a good point strangerdanger re mim however I'm convinced the china & indo & Korean Squiers (&japan) are solid too. Mexico is just a little closer to corona, CA. I wonder if that impacts quality.

PawleeP likes this.
  2. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    They have upped their game on fit and finish for sure. (I'm not talking about G&L or Lakland imports, they have been good for a while. Just talking about Asian import Fender/Squier.) I'm just not as satisfied in general with the quality of the pick ups and electronics. That being said, if I am going to spend money, I'd rather not buy Chinese if at all possible.

I have a Fender Bassman 100t/410 NEO that was MIM and its the best amp I have ever owned so I definitely have no aversion to MIM.

Furthermore, and more to the point, I think the BT line represents a great value. They are unique and rather well made guitars for less than the standard MIM line.

3. StephenDaRacket

StephenDaRacket

Mar 23, 2013
    i rewired mine with master volume (push/pull coil tapping for neck pup) blend and master tone (push/pull for coil tapping for bridge pup) needless to say it's quite versatile

I also made a new pick guard out of a poorly cut rosewood back for an acoustic that was on a scrap pile in a local luthier shop. i wasn't partial to the knobs either so i switched them for some knurled chome dome ones

4. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Pics?

5. Wiring diagram of your rewire job please?

6. StephenDaRacket

StephenDaRacket

Mar 23, 2013

7. StephenDaRacket

StephenDaRacket

Mar 23, 2013
    i wired everything to the scematic except the pup selector and then used a jazz blend mod scheme from there. it took a few tries http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3L11_02/Guitar-Wiring-Diagram-2-Humbuckers3-Way-Lever-Switch1-Volume2-TonesIndividual-Coil-Taps.html[/IMG]

8. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas

9. StephenDaRacket

StephenDaRacket

Mar 23, 2013
    yes please

10. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Fender Blacktop Club Members
    #1 StrangerDanger
    #2 ShadowVampyre
    #3 Fair Warning
    #4 unclebass
    #5 StephenDaRacket

11. StephenDaRacket

StephenDaRacket

Mar 23, 2013
    y2u2yte5.jpg 6yne9a8e.jpg

fairly modified Fender Blacktop Precision Bass (paid around $350 with no mods)
    Master Volume (push/pull coil tap neck), Pickup Blend, Master Tone (push/pull coil tap bridge)

12. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Berry kewl!

Squittolo likes this.
  13. Those knobs look great ! I also like your wiring of blend and master volume. That's way better than separate volumes I think.

14. StephenDaRacket

StephenDaRacket

Mar 23, 2013
    For sure. Whether it's a jazz or anything. It gives you a lot more options than a three way switch too

15. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    Looks good in that white. This P is growing on me and I haven't even seen one in person yet.
    I'm thinking (imagining) I'll put a veneer on mine & blackout the goods.

16. StephenDaRacket

StephenDaRacket

Mar 23, 2013
    It's more sparkly and silver than these pictures show. By veneer you mean a natural refinish?

17. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

Oct 12, 2012
    Oregon
    Played a Blacktop P Bass at a store a few months ago. I have to say that I wish I had bought it but the price wasn't right. They were asking brand new price at GC or MF for an obviously used instrument. It wasn't even like it was just an in-store used item, it was beat to hell! The pickups sounded great and the neck felt amazing!

18. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Those aren't bullet holes. They're, um…SOUND HOLES!

infamusblkdeath likes this.
  19. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    By veneer I mean strip the black paint and epoxy (verb?) on an exotic wood veneer. Only on the top surface, not around the edges & back. I can't add a pic from app I exceeded limit but search nbd Reggie homage
    You'll see among last pics a brown veneered jazz.

20. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    FYI these basses come with 500 K pots.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021