1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Fender Blacktop Double P chrome pearl BEAUTY w/ bound maple/black block inlaid neck!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TimBosby, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Too many basses, too many basses... gotta sell a couple things that aren't getting played.

Fender FINALLY made a stock "double Precision" so I had to buy it... but like all impulsive projects, this one's just getting in the way at the moment.

I hate to sell it but I'm trying to keep my collection at 10 basses or less, and this was number 11.

Nonetheless...

This. Is. A. Really. Sweet. Bass. :bassist::D

This beauty is a hybrid of two MIM Fender basses: A Blacktop "Jazz" (even though it's a double-P) body and a Classic 70s Precision neck. I really wanted a Blacktop Jazz in chrome pearl but I thought that a maple fingerboard just looked better than the stock rosewood. Then I decided why not try a bound maple/maple neck with black block inlays? It looked great, so I decided to put creme pickup covers on, just for a little something different. The results are stunning. The bass, however, never gets played. Why? Because I have 10 others... :meh:

SPECS
    -Alder "Blacktop" Jazz Bass body in Fender's "Chrome Pearl" finish
    -Maple neck w/ satin back, glossy maple fretboard, black binding -Blacktop Split Single-Coil Precision Bass pickups
    -Blacktop 4-saddle adjustable HiMass bridge (very cool - similar to a Badass and it was the stock bridge!)
    -Vintage Style Jazz Bass knobs
    -Passive electronics: Vol/Vol/Tone
    -Weight is right around 9 lbs, give or take
    -Nut width is 1.625" (1 and 5/8)

SOUND
    This bass really roars, especially for a passive instrument. The neck pickup sounds absolutely HUGE - as loud and thunderously bass-heavy as any active P-style pickup. The bridge pickup is (naturally) quieter but adds some nice "Jazz" style snap. I prefer to roll the bridge pickup down about 1/4 to 1/2 of the way and then roll the tone off 1/2 to 3/4 of the way. Nice fat P sound with a little extra bite but no mush. Honestly these stock MIM pickups are fantastic. I'd see no reason to ever replace them.

PLAYABLITY
    This bass feels great. I took a green kitchen scrubby to the back of the neck and carefully worked the glossy finish down to a nice buttery-smooth satin. I left the fretboard glossy. I blended the satin parts to the glossy parts and was careful to make sure it was even. It's not pro, by any means, but I think I did a pretty good job, and you probably would not have noticed but I believe in full disclosure. The bass is currently strung D-G-C-F. The action may need to be lowered if you bring it up to standard tuning.

CONDITION
    It's in excellent shape. May have a couple dings and tiny scratches here and there. The Chrome Pearl finish has a kind of micro-sparkle to it (very hard to photograph) and there is one very light outer-finish-only scrape on the upper bout. It almost looks like sticker residue or something, but it wouldn't come out with goo-gone, so I figured it's probably just a small wear spot on the outer layer of finish. I bought the bass in brand-new condition from Musician's Friend about a month ago, and I got a $25 credit added to my account when I told them about this spot. It's BARELY noticeable, you can feel it more than you can see it. But I figured, may as well let them know since they sold it as "new." There may be a few other minor blems on the body, but nothing that I've found. The neck may have a couple minor chips and dings. Some very faint swirl marks leftover from my satin-scrubby treatment, and I think one small headstock ding. All the chrome is shiny and everything functions as it should.

Schaller straplock ends installed. I do not have a spare strap to go with it, nor do I have a case or a gigbag, but I will pack it lovingly for its new owner.

Let's say [DEL]$650[/DEL] $595 shipped, or best offer. I prefer NOT to part it out at this time, but will consider separating the body and neck if I don't get bites on the whole thing. Lower 48 only at this time. I prefer cash, but I'd consider a trade for G&L SB-2 or similar fretless (prefer unlined.)

Pics below. They do NOT do this gorgeous finish justice!

IMG_1497.
    IMG_1498.
    IMG_1499.
    IMG_1500.
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-un4XpubgCA4/UCMJsnnUPoI/AAAAAAAABCU/ltDPZVIKrFI/s640/IMG_1504.JPG
    IMG_1506.
    IMG_1507.
    IMG_1508.

2. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    Gorgeous! Simply Spectacular!

3. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Thanks Joe. This really is a classy looking bass. TGIF bump. Open to any and all cash offers (within reason :D)

4. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.