1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Blacktop J-Bass, and YOUR opinion!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andrewrepasky, Jan 24, 2012.

1. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Has anyone ever heard/played one of these? Ive been eying them on sweetwater but haven't found them in ANY store

heres the link

Fender Blacktop J-Bass | Sweetwater.com

im looking for a versatile bass under $600, i play progressive rock, with hints of jazz and funk....nothing too heavy.....im looking into buying a new bass to compliment my Ibanez Soundgear SRX390..

currently looking at the Sterling by Musicman, and the Fender Jazz Basses.....am totally open to anyother suggestions!

2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I ordered one sight unseen last summer on the promise that they were in stock and could be delivered within days. When that story changed and the delivery date promise stretched out to months/weeks I canceled the order and went with a MIM Active Jazz instead. Then last Thanksgiving week I finally saw and played one in a store. I thought it was quite a nice bass in every respect. I love my Active Jazz and do not regret getting it at all. At the same time I would have been quite happy with the Blacktop too. If you do a search on "blactop" you should turn up several other threads that discuss them.

Ken

3. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    I also ordered one sight unseen but had no problem with delivery. It's exactly what you think it is, a p bass on steroids. And I'm not saying that in a bad way. If you want a normal P sound, roll off the bridge pup and just use the neck. If you want a stronger, punchier sound, use both. I liked mine very much. The ONLY reason I don't have mine anymore was because I wanted my first American made instrament and used it for trade in. I got a highway one jazz. Now I'm thinking of getting a P but dont like the thicker necks, so the logical solution to me is pick up another blacktop. Try one out first and see if you like it. And if you can find one used, you can save probably around a 100 bucks. And BTW, I would never tell anyone not to get a jazz bass.

4. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Lol I like the jazz basses because of playability, and the fact that you can always make a j buzz sound like a p bass...but not the other way around...I think that will be the bass im needing...hopefully my search is over....I need versatility in my music and my band...no one should ever be stuck to one style imho... check out www.inaltum.net and u can get a rough idea of what I play

5. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    thanks!