1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Blacktop Jazz (and general split-coil Precision) pickups- some questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Oct 1, 2013.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Okay, so I bought the stock BT pickup set for a BT body in transit from eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140982457239...84.m1439.l2649

If you can still see the images, you'll see that the coils of each pickup are connected by a yellow wire, and each coil has a lead (duh). One lead is red and the other lead is yellow. Three questions:

1) (this is mostly for Blacktop owners, but if you don't own one but you know, please let me know) Is there a difference between the pickups such that I should use a specific one in the neck and the other for the bridge?

2) Is there a difference in the coils such that I should use a specific one for the E/A strings and the other for the G/D?

3) Which of these leads is hot and which is ground, or does it matter?

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

2. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
  3. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer

Mar 16, 2006
    California
    I have a Blacktop Jazz. Yellow goes to volume lead. Red goes to ground. The pickup with the ground connector is closer to the bridge. Whether's that's necessary or not, I don't know.

4. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    No, this is not necessary.
    At the "old P-basses" the coil with the gnd connection was the "neck coil". The hot connector was closer to the bridge.

What might influence the decision:
    Solder the PU to a jack. Touch the magnets with your fingers.
    Touching the magnets with the fingers might cause humming at one of the coils while the other doesn't hum (this is normal!!!).
    Put the coil which doesn't hum when touching the magnets in the EA position. The "danger" of touching the upper coil magnets is much more likely than touching the magnets of the DG coil ...

Most bass players never notice this phenomenon - as long as they don't know about it. :)
    So, it is not necessary to put the "non-humming" coil in the EA position. You will not notice this phenomenon as long as you touch the strings or any other grounded part!

5. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Thanks so much for the replies!

6. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    Your question 1 ...

Do you (or does someone you know) have a mutlimeter?
    If there is a difference in the impedance, put the "stronger" one in the bridge position.
    0,1 Ohms difference doesn't matter ...

The one with the longer wires might be the neck PU ...