1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Blacktop Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Byron92, May 20, 2012.

1. Byron92

Byron92

Aug 21, 2011
    As anyone played this? I been looking to buy a fender bass, pretty much looking forward to buy new gear but a P-Bass or any other jazz guitar is killing my budget, this blacktop is around 500$, the people that have reviewed it have given it a good name, wanna know if any of you had the experience to play this guitar. Thanks in advance

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I fully tested BlackTop Jazz on last saturday night rehersals...

The bass is full step downtuned, and had a Hipshot BT7 bass extender so that the lower playable note is a "C", I opted for RotoSound swing 66 strings to fully capture the dual splitcoil attack.

The neck split coil is just that, a neck splitcoil, so no Precision
    dream slot or how is it called BTW, it catches a range of warm
    tones down there yet lettin' full punch and overall midrange.

The surprise comes from the bridge splicoil

more midrange than crystalclear trebles, even with fully open passive tone, an overwhelming attack and a very unespected sensitivity to fingerpickin' nuances (many fella suggested this beast could be better served with a pick)

I'm a heavy hitter over there (I started to look at afroamerican
    funky bass players, who obligatory played near the bridge) and
    I interpreted that applyin' fingersplittin' force to alternate pick and match the double bassdrum work...

With both pickup completely open, tone control works only at the very start of rotation. Then it's immediately all open or, counterclockwise it's not closed til full rotation's accomplished

Great (great!) bass

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
  4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Here is the responce from Fender:

Hello,

This bass does have a capacitor value of .05uF and you may want something in a smaller value like a 6800pF. However, this is all tonal preference and we use these a lot in basses to produce a warm darker tone. You may also want to try a pot with a different style taper other that the audio we use in the factory for different control results. We always have to aim to please the masses on these types of designs so sometimes they would need to be tailored to the personal taste of the player.

However, if you feel that there is some sort of defect with your instrument I would suggest getting it in the hands of a local authorized service center in your area to be evaluated for possible warranty service. You can locate service through the link below.

http://www.fender.com/dealers/service_centers.php

Best regards,

Michael Roberts

Consumer Relations Representative