No longer available Fender Blacktop Jazz + Extras

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Malak the Mad, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Price:
    $500-$600
    Strings:
    Greetings All!

I'm putting out a feeler to see if there's interest in a Fender Blacktop Jazz bass in excellent condition. The body was produced in 2011 and the neck, which recently had the frets edges professionally filed and smoothed, comes from a 2012 Standard Jazz. Otherwise, everything is completely stock. This bass has never been played out or gigged with. Aside from some inconsequential scuffs from basic handling and some playing around the house, there is no damage whatsoever.

Included are a trio of customized pickguards, one has had the gloss buffed out and the other two have undergone my not-quite-patented "Sharpie DIY Tinting Process™". One is in red (pictured below) and the other is in dark blue.

As for the "extras", I'm also offering a Gator wood/tolex case for an additional $50 and a Hipshot BT7 Drop-D tuner, which should be a direct drop-in replacement, for another $50.

As always, domestic shipping to the Lower 48 States is included. Anything further will cost more. PayPal is preferred, but a face-to-face transaction will get you a discount.

nBKKBeq.jpg
    W8ybXXW.jpg
    TNogj7S.jpg
    VkJGAZU.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Falsecrack likes this.
  2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Would you sell just the body?

3. Malak the Mad

I haven't ruled that out as a possibility, but in a perfect world, everything would go in one, simple transaction. ;)

birminghambass likes this.
  4. Malak the Mad

Not a "Feeler" anymore. I'm officially putting this beast-of-a-bass up for sale. Let the offers commence! :thumbsup:

5. ShaneCat

ShaneCat

Jul 24, 2014
    Nice bass. Weight?

6. Malak the Mad

Thanks! Nine pounds, four ounces. Adding the detuner would probably add another ounce.

7. Rockonjp76

Rockonjp76

Aug 8, 2016
    716, NY
    The neck is not from a blacktop jazz?

8. Malak the Mad

You could say, "kinda-sorta-almost". The Blacktops were MIM Standard Precisions and Jazzes from 2011…possibly 2012, as well…that were routed for different pickups and in some cases, given a different finish. In those cases, it was White Chrome Pearl. Beyond the pickups and upgraded bridge, they're identical to the MIM Standards.

In this instance, I verified with Fender Customer Service that the neck came from a black, MIM Standard Jazz. So, it's possible the body, the current neck and the original neck could've all been on the factory floor at the same time. To that effect, I've been calling it "practically stock". If I were a shadier type, I'd simply call it "absolutely stock" and no one would be the wiser. :whistle: :angel: :cautious:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Laurie Bass likes this.
  9. Rockonjp76

Rockonjp76

Aug 8, 2016
    716, NY
    Well the "Fender" font on the headstock (for blacktops) was different from normal MIM standards.
    From your pics, it looks like a blacktop neck.

10. Malak the Mad

When I put up the ad as a "feeler", I used the original pics I took some time ago. I had no idea I would need to put it up for sale officially. While the body has gone unmodified (save for the pickguard), it's worn a couple of different necks. And you're right, the logo is different. The original was silver with a black outline. The current neck is black with a gold outline.

See? This is why honesty is always the best policy. :D

Others have asked for pics of the neck, so once it's a bit clearer and warmer, I'll haul it outside for a proper photoshoot. :bookworm:

11. Rockonjp76

Rockonjp76

Aug 8, 2016
    716, NY
    Oh, didn't know you had a new neck on it since those pics. Ya, would also like to see updated pics, thanks for clearing it all up, GLWTS!

12. Malak the Mad

No problem, not that it'll look much different…just a slightly different waterslide logo…but, with all the requests, I gotta see this through. ;)

Laurie Bass likes this.
  13. Malak the Mad

For the time being, I'm taking this bass off the market.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022