1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Blacktop P owners - question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gustobassman, Dec 6, 2011.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    So i got to finally play one of these today and was really impressed by the build quality, but something struck me very wrong. The E string didn't line up with the bridge pickup pole pieces at all. The string sat INSIDE the two pickup poles for the E string. Not in between, but completely missing the poles altogether. :eyebrow:

I checked the nut, it was fine, the bridge looked straight, the pickups looked like they were routed correctly (nothing askew so to speak). The neck appeared to be straight, no string hanging over the fretboard edges etc.. Are they all like this? i searched here and saw some pics but none seem to be as extreme as the one i just played. This was a new bass at a local fender dealer so i'm kinda wondering if this is what to expect for the price point?

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    was it just the e string or were they all off?
    the pickup may have been routed wrong.

3. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Just the E string. It was really weird. The string rested on the inside of all 4 poles that would be used for the E string. All the other strings lined up with the string resting in between the pup poles.

4. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Maybe the string was not in the Bridge saddle and was resting on the inside?