Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender blend-knob ==> Gibson 3-way switch?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kwan, Nov 8, 2004.

  1. Kwan


    May 14, 2004
    Now I am having a normal pickup blend knob on my Fender P-bass.
    Like this:

    I want to change it to a Gibson-like 3-way switch
    Like this:

    Is it possible to just replace the knob with a switch (maybe from gibson guitar)??

    Anyone tried this??

  2. TheBaron


    Nov 1, 2004
    I dont really understand why? To have 3 'stages' of tone oppose to just turning the knob? please explain.

  3. I think that type of switch is too long for most standard 1½" - 1 5/8" thick bass bodies. But there are lots of others that do the same thing and are totally enclosed and only take up about ½" - ¾" of depth.
  4. brianrost

    brianrost Gold Supporting Member

    Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, you can replace a pickup blend pot with a switch. Of course, you can't blend the pickups any more (less tonal options).

    Fender has offered dual pickup P-basses with pickup switches in the past: Precision Elite II, Precision Plus, MIJ Jazz (really a P) Special, JP-90...