Fender bodies with nickel sized routs ~ why?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bino, Feb 3, 2005.

1. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Hey experts, I occasionally see Fender and Fender clone bodies with a nickel sized round hole routed under the pickguard like in this picture above the control rout. What is this for? I suspect it has to do with getting the right weight, but it still seems weird.
  2. Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I believe they are the CNC reference holes.
  3. Being extremely knowledgable on the subject of 'weird holes' I can talk about the subject with confidence.

The sole purpose of the 'nickel-hole' is to allow the wood to breathe. because the body is designed to use a pickguard, the wood would asfixiate if it didn't have the hole.

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

My 2 cents.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's what I've heard, also.
  5. Yup, probably. We call those anchor holes around here. Although it looks like they're way too close together on that body.

Such small holes wouldn't do much of a difference in weight, anyway.
  6. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Alright. I was thinking maybe they added a slug in there to prevent neck dive. :eyebrow: Shows you what I know.
  7. Peak0db

Jan 22, 2004
    Brockton, MA
    Well last I knew refrence holes sounds right but those seem to be the MIM basses. I've seen many US and Japan fenders w/o these holes and the huge cavity routes thats what happens when you go cheap. I have a 2000 MIM with those
  8. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA

LOL! :D :D :D
  9. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Isn't that where you put your 'les paul' 3-way switch?? JK.....
    If there's a one inch layer of polyester on the body, why/how would the wood breathe?
    just my 2 cents