Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b0nes83, Dec 15, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    Does anyone else here not like fender basses? I went to my local music store yesterday and sat down with a $969 p-bass and jazz bass...i thought that they played like crap. the action on the basses are very bad...so high i could fit my fingers between the strings and the fret board. well i was wondering if anyone here does not like the fender basses. I dont want to start a war with anyone so please do not hate me.
  2. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    There is good and bad in all things.
  3. Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    yes there are people here that don't like fenders
    i'm not one of them
    end of story!
  4. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    The really great thing about "action" is that it is adjustable. :rolleyes:
  5. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    They can have my Fender Jazz Bass when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers. ;)
  6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    There are some Fender basses that I like...but I do NOT like the Fender company overall.
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I have a Fender bass... I like it well enough... I don't know what corporate evils the fender company has been up to, so I have no beef...

Just curious, which basses do you prefer?
  8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I like the Roscoe Beck...Stu Hamm...and Geddy Lee basses. I seem to go for the models...outside of the Fender "norm"....:)
  9. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Have you thought it might be because of a bad setup by the store, or a lack thereof? I've played a few Fenders before and never had a problem with the action.

[Edited by Sofa King on 12-15-2000 at 04:54 PM]
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I love my MIJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, the American Deluxe Precision 5 and the Roscoe Beck model.

I love old Jazz basses as well.

But I do like me Pedulla more, it's better built, sounds better and is easier to play.

Just MHO.
  11. I am not a big fan of Fender, but I have to stick up for them as far as action is adjustable...... That is kind of like saying you don't like Fords because the one in the showroom had no gas, and it had plastic on the seats.........

......if you groove it, they will come......
  12. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I am a Fender fan. I have a Precision that I dearly love, and it sounds perfect (well, almost ;) ) to me. I do admit, however, that their quality, tone, etc., is more variable than it should be. If you want a really good Fender, you should probably shop around pretty hard or buy a Lakland :D . Still, I like them fine, even though Fender has had some quality control issues.
  13. Once upon a time I never dreamed that I would want to play a Fender Bass, I tried many during the late 70's and 80's and I found all of them to be inferior to my Guild B301. However, I looked again this year for a new guitar and tried several makes from Rick to Alembic to Gibson and many in between, but nothing comes close to my Fender American Jazz Bass, it's comfortable has a great action and the neck / finger board plays beautifully.

14. I am a proud member of the AntiFender Brigade!
  15. b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    ok ok...i know the action is adjustable, but almost all of the fenders i have played at different stores have had bad action. I prefer basses such as - peavey cirrus, warwicks, bone, tobias, I like a bass that is neck thru, has a wooden body with a glossy or non glossy finnish on it.
  16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Fenders tend to be too expensive for the quality offered (at least in Europe). Apart from the fact that I grew up on non-Fenders, there's lots of (e.g. German) luthiers and small bass companies that can build state-of-the-art Fender copies for a reasonable price. Just don't follow the hype (IMO!!) of Lakland or Sadowsky and the like.
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Then why build a copy?:D

As far as bad setups, no one has a monopoly on them. I've seen several Cirruses that had the strings almost on the fretboard. If you indeed do understand that that's why basses have truss rods and adjustable bridges, I don't really understand the problem.

The fact that you see a lot of bad Fender setups is more than likely due to the dealer not taking the time to set up instruments when they come in. They probably don't have to, but if I were a dealer I would. It doesn't take major tweaking to make these things more playable once they're delivered and if they're more playable at least in my mind, they'd be easier to sell. It's very easy to ask for a setup prior to deciding on a bass...if the answer is no, go elsewhere.

Wood moves, and when you ship it across climate zones it happens. That's not an excuse, it's a fact. But by all means, blame Fender if that makes it easier:D
  18. i have respect for fender for being one of the key players in the invention of the electric bass and they probally are the number one played bass but i like my necks a little thicker i am a bigger fan of a RIC or a newer MM stingray
  19. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    So far i've played very few fenders that i haven't liked ranging from Fender MIM J&Ps [e/g my jazz] to the American Deluxe yes there's a big difference but i just like the neck shapes that they have to offer. All feel stable to my hands. Main complaint is one that is highly changable with a simple mod-the bridge saddle things moves side to side when playing need the bridge-not very much but just enough to notice. I like a neck that isn't to thick, not wider than my neck [16-16 1/2 dress shirt], & just feels good. Overall quality is amazing in the individual feel-some i like more than others. Other FMIC products e.g Strats, teles, DeArmond basses-i like most of. I think i'm gonna go crazy though, was expecting Ashbory to arrive later today/tomorrow but doesn't look like it will. I'm gonna quit rambling now. Thats all
  20. I love the "Fender" sound, but I sometimes question the great loyality people have to the Fender company. Personally I love what LEO Fender did while he owned the company and what he did in his subsequent companies, Musicman and G&L.

His last company, G&L was a lot more like he did things in the old days - small shop, no automation, hand guided cutting, sanding and shaping, hand sprayed finishes, etc. Leo conituned to tinker with his designs never satisfied with slight imperfections, so he made improvements to his necks, bridges, pickup designs etc.

There's no question the "Fender" bass tone is the most popular and sought after tone. I prefer to turn to G&L to get that tone now because I believe their passive basses (SB-1, SB-2, LB-100) are much more in the spirit of the handmade nature of the early Fenders. There are slight improvements (for the better IMO) on the SB-1 and SB-2, but for more conservative players they offer the LB-100 which is a little closer to the post '57 P bass design.

Am I a Fender fan? Yes - but only of Mr. Leo Fender. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.