Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bullet bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lucas vigor, Dec 2, 2004.

1. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Does anyone have any pictures of a late 70's fender bullet bass?

I seem to remember seeing one when I was a teenager, and the PUPs looked a lot like a mustang PUP.

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I am pretty sure they are a Mustang pup with a white cover instead of black. You can always type out "Bullet bass" on ebay; there's always one or two for sale there.

3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I have a Bullet but it was built in '84. Didn't know they were built much before or after that. Sorry I don't have a picture.

4. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Bullet basses were built from late 82 to late 83 in the US and then manufacturing was moved to Japan and they were built for another year with the Squier logo. The reason many people say they are late 70's is because for some reason the serial numbering on some early 80's Fenders are off.

They have a mustang style pickup with white cover. The body is a downsized slab P Bass body. The American version came in both short scale (B-30) and long scale (B-34 Deluxe). It is 1 1/2 inches wide at the nut and the profile is a slim "V" shape. They all had maple fingerboards and some had a rare flamed maple skunk stripe instead of the standard walnut stripe. I ahve seen them in vintage white, black, sunburst, torino red, and some dark see through finish.

The Squier version was only available as a long scale.

I have owned a few Bullet basses but I always seem to off them because I don't like slim jazz width necks. That aside the neck profile is great and they sound wonderful and can be found fairly cheap.

5. Johnny Alien

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    The one I just sold...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    my buddy has a bullet guitar and that thing rocks socks.

7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Buddy, thanks for posting those pics. My bullet, I guess it's an '83 model, is the dark trans brown you mentioned. I have often thought of duing some mods to it but I think it's just best to let it age gracefully.

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    THe one in the pic above is a 1980 model. I believe that was the first year they were made, and the only year they were made in USA.

9. Johnny Alien

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    No it's an early 1983 model. I believe the neck was dated Feb of 1983. Mid 1982 was the first year they were available. The serial number does date it to 1980 but Fender at that time was suing up old serial numbers at the time. I asked some experts about this and they said this type of thing happened in the early 80's. Regardless I had the neck off and it is an early 83. There were no Fender Bullets before 1982.