Fender Bullet? WTH?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B-Mac, Sep 14, 2018.

1. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Fender Bullet?
    What is this? Can you tell me anything?

Attached Files:

Rock Salad likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's a long scale Mustang. American made, I think. From the 80s? Cool basses. Tele head stock. Chunky neck. I've only ever seen them in some sort of butterscotch/yellow color.

pudge, JMacBass65 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Every time those pickups were installed in a bass, they made an audible “dink” sound.

Axstar, Matthew_84, redstrand and 2 others like this.
  5. B-Mac

Thanks! Always learning something here at TB!

6. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I think they came in both 30" and 34" scale.

covermego, lowendrv and grrg63 like this.
  7. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    That one in the picture was stripped, and has the wrong knobs.

Early 80s, entry-level-model. I remember the necks being quite thin, actually, but there might have been several profiles offered. Pickup is meh at best IMO, other than that a decent starter instrument and then some. Excellent modding platform in my view, but not a "forgotten gem" by any stretch of imagination.

My $0.02 only...

pcake, wmhill and bolophonic like this.
  8. B-Mac

Correct. It has been stripped and re-finished. I'll have more to tell you about it in a few days. I like the finish on the fretboard.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  9. 7dollarbologna

7dollarbologna Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
    My first instrument was an '84 Squier Bullet - the pickguard has a bit different shape

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nope. You got the knobs right. But they actually made that bass in a walnut finish with a black metal guard.

11. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I stand corrected, then.

Those must have never made it to Europe in any significant quantities back in those days because I don't even remember seeing that colour as an option...and I worked for someone who sold a *lot* of Fenders at the time...

12. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    yes they did

13. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Maybe they did make some different profiles, because the two I played had MASSIVE necks. I love the huge neck, it’s one of my all-time favorites on this bass.

Unfortunately, the body is pretty small, and doesn’t offset the neck size at all. The 34” Bullet neck dives like Dracula on a teenage girl.

14. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    as I remember the bullet series was basically entry level budget offerings that used up surplus parts (bodies, necks etc..). Some where pretty decent- there was a bullet guitar (Maybe a Lead I or II ) that had a great tele neck. Then they had an awful one that had a metal pickgaurd that was bent up 90 degrees at the end with the strings saddles attached to it. Most were nothing to get excited about.

lz4005 and Bassbeater like this.
  15. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I'm going to have nightmares tonight for sure.

wmhill and ajkula66 like this.
  16. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    It was surely the thing that nightmares are made of!

17. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    great way to get a vintage fender bass on the cheap. those mustang pickups sound great. love the walnut color. i don't love the chunky necks and maple but it's cheap and vintage fender you can't get everything you want.

Dark Horse and CapnSev like this.
  18. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Naw man. My buddy still has that Bullet guitar with the metal pickguard. He bought it new in 83. It's fantastic. If you think of it like a strat you'll probably be disappointed. They're much closer to a duosonic or a mustang. They're selling for around $800-$1000 on Reverb these days.

Bassbeater likes this.
  19. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    I had a red bullet bass , all maple neck , made in USA . Tele headstock , no contours (like a stingray classic). I always thought of it as a precision with a mustang pickup. Nothing felt cheap, really, just odd to have a mustang pickup on a tele/precision .

If the price is right , I’d grab it.

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  20. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Another smoothie from the Fender blender.

Haroldo and Jazz Ad like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021