Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bullett Bass history, specs, etc...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blueszilla, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    When my Ibanez Studio was stolen in the late 80's all I could afford was a used Fender Bullett I found at the local music store. It came with a HSC with the 'Fender' logo embossed on it and it was $200 for everything. I put EMG selects (MF special!) and a Badass bridge on it. It looks like hell (the body is that washed out Fender yellow, blecchh!) and its top heavy, but the neck is perfect. I always thought this was kind of an entry level type of instrument, but I saw some posts on the Bass babes thread that talk about it in better terms. Anybody out there know the history, specs and/or other information regarding this series of basses?

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Originally produced by Fender and later taken over by Squire (Fender Japan). Comes in two different scale lengths: 30 and 34 inch. Only sold by Fender in 1982 and 1983, after that they were sold exclusively by Squire. Pickups are similar to the original Mustang bass and the headstock should be a telecaster style headstock. Small body as well.

There are two books you can use to find more information: The Fender Bass by Klaus Blasquiz and The Fender Bass: An Illustrated History by Black and Milarno. They should fill in the rest.

Dan

3. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Thanks for the info Dan :)

From what you say, this is sort of a 'limited edition' product. It's a 34" scale and not a Squier. Since the neck is so sweet I'm considering buying a new and better body to match it to.

What's your opinion about doing this and can you suggest something to get?

Thanks in advance for any replies!!:p

4. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    fender bullet basses were at the time and still are decent basses,like the other dude said they were bullets for 2 or 3 yrs and then went to fender japan and became fender squire's(nothing like the cheap ones you see for 169.00$ today)i've seen the american made ones sell for 500.00 $ or more while their japan counterparts sell for around 250.00-300.00$,they did have 2 neck scale sizes(30'and standard 34")they are very good basses and seem to hold up to the test of time(because fender japan uses good cuts of wood)they are definately worth restoring or doing up-grades on,their value will only increase with time(fender japan basses are on the uprise in the collectability dept)i was looking at one the other day on e-bay and was considering buying one but seeing how i have 2 p-basses already i passed on it,IMO i say fix that baby up and play your classis bullet with pride. btw mitey mite makes a great replacement neck for fender and are pretty cost effecient(100.00-125.00$):bassist:

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I don't know about the body replacement, however, if you have the opportunity compare the neck slot with another Fender Bass to see if it would fit. My preference would be to fix up the Bullet and live with it's "mojo".

Dan

6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I have a bullet that I bought new in 1983. It has a dark brown natural finish and an all maple neck and finger board. It's starting to age really nicely with some checking on the body and the coating on the neck is peeling away. I have made no modifications to it. It's on its way to becoming a relic.:)