Fender buying SWR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew West, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Anyone know anything about this? Fender has been on a buying spree lately.
  2. is this just a word of mouth rumor? swr is pretty darn successful, the companies fender was buying (jackson, sunn, dearmond etc) weren't exactly bestsellers.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    no way. SWR sells lots of amps and look like they know how to manage their business - keep costs down, suppliers happy, etc. they don't have a huge model line just to have a big model line, they kill stuff that doesn't sell. they consolidated all their "odd" cabs to the Pro Custom series and made them special order only. all good business moves. hopefully they don't start sacrificing quality in their amps but some say it's already happened. (i'm not so sure - all my new SWR stuff has been great)

but it looks like we may need to worry about fender buying eden :D
  4. natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    yeah but fender bought Guild, and while they weren't on the level of Taylor or Martin, they were'nt small potatoes either...
  5. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Fender makes some of the best instruments....SWR makes some of the best Amp's/Cab's......

I swear by both but I think Fender is slowly getting away from what they should be concentrating on, and that's making quality instruments.

To each their own....the rumor is probably nothing more than that, however, I am continually surprised at what unfolds day to day.

Just my .02

-Very true about Eden.........hope things turn out well for David and the gang.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'll be less than happy if Fender buys SWR. I'm really getting tired of their "eliminate the competition by buying them out stratedgy". I'm also having trouble believing that now they let Squier take over manufacturing of DeArmond, that they are of the same quality as before.
  8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've just received word from my "source" at SWR, and he tells me that, "I can tell you this with absolute certainty: Fender is not buying SWR." We can all relax. :D

...now, another amp manufacturer being bought out? Perhaps... ;)
  9. just like pre-CBS Fender.
  10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    People seem to forget......SWR has already been bought out....years ago.
  11. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    wasn't it by the employees though?