1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Buys Genz Benz etc.....??????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rodl2005, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Is this correct. I just read last months British Mag 'Gtr & bass' & says that " Fender continues it's march to world domination & aquired Kaman Music.....".Genz Benz being in that Group......Is this true? any comments? :eyebrow:

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes it's true, and yes there have already been plenty of comments.

3. Ahhhhhhhh sorry didn't see 'em. Mods delete this if poss.

4. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I get the idea that despite the buyout, Genz-Benz will retain their top notch customer service and quality gear. I never saw any evidence of degradation in Eden after they were bought by Washburn's parent company.

OT: Who's the parent company of Trace? Peavey, Gibson, or Fender? Peavey's website has a direct link to Trace amplification but I remember them being run by Fender or Gibson.

5. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    Peavey is Peavey...and they own Trace.

6. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I guess you never needed CS?

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    You never needed Eden service then.

I hope that GB can keep up their top quality CS and gear. So often it goes the other way after a buyout.

Hang in there guys!

8. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    ....but it can go the other way too. The general feeling is that Gretsch's quality improved after the acquisition by Fender.

9. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004

Hang in there? This is the BEST POSSIBLE scenario for Genz Benz....and the most exciting. This buyout has been a reality for me since last October.

I don't think anything on the customer front has changed.

10. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    I'm just thinking SWR has gone downhill a bit after they were ingested by Fender...

11. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

SWR also lost their founder around the same time. That might have something to do with their supposed fall. I don't think that Jeff Genzler is going to leave anytime soon...

12. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Time will tell.

13. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Having been a part of company buyouts several times, what matters most is what the nature of the "buyout" means. It is often disengenious to even call these things a buyout at all, since it connotates a "sell-out" by the original company. The contractual agreements about how business operates after the buyout is the most important thing, not who owns the company. Many of these supposed "buy-outs" are more like venture capital deals, where a large company invests dollars into a smaller comapny that has the potential for huge growth. Typically the extra capital goes into R&D and marketing, and eventually production ramp-ups. I've been a part of this in the IT sector several times, and seen different "deals" go down. The right deal can turn a small company into a powerhouse very quickly.

14. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    I've heard this analogy before. Keep in mind that Genz Benz is the first time Fender has purchased an amp company on the up swing.

I had an "affiliation" with SWR "back in the day". There wasn't any SWR to go down hill at the time Fender bought them. The doors had been closed.

GB is a completely different scenario. Fender "absorbed" SWR while GB is operating as a "seperate business entity". Lastly, the senior management in place at Fender today is entirely different than the team that aquired SWR.

15. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    you are correct...hence the last paragraph in my post above.

16. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    i like fender

17. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    Technically, does that mean that every Fender dealer can now (special) order Genz-Benz products even if they are not a "genz-benz dealer"?

18. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    not even close. Genz Benz is operating as a "seperate business entity".

...seperate business entity.

....seperate business entity.

;)

oh yeah, seperate business entity.

Fender's sales reps sell what they have, our reps sell ours.

19. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Roger, does that mean you can't help me encourage Fender to denouce Flea for putting that cheesy sticker on an otherwise beautiful vintage Jazz bass? I mean, even as a seperate business entity, you have to have some strings you can pull, right? :)

20. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    :) Even though I'm "high up" in the Kaman organization as a "director", Fender doesn't even know I exist. :D