1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender BUZZ Bass.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kynoch, Oct 23, 2006.

1. kynoch

kynoch

Jun 28, 2006
    For some reason my Fender is making a really Loud BUZZ. I'll explain the Buzz. The Bass with the Buzz is a 3 year old Fender Jazz Bass (American Series). It buzzes when I turn either of the pick up volumes to half. If they are left full on they don't buzz and are a quiet as a mouse. I have checked through the electronics of the bass but I can't see any loose conections it all looks fine. Also when I touch the strings the buzz is less but still there. This buzz is killing me I don't know what is causing it and I have NO IDEA how to stop it. can anybody help????

2. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    all passive Js are like that.

:-/

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Your bass is picking up electrical signals from your surroundings. Your pickups are a RWRP set (reverse wound, reverse polarity) and therefore when the volumes are equal, they act as a big humbucker, getting rid of all this hum that you hear.

It can be cured by switching pickups to individual humbucking J pickups, all though they take away some of the zing off the top end and having your bass completely shielded. The shielding will help, but not perfect it.

4. kynoch

kynoch

Jun 28, 2006
    Is it possible that the level of buzz depends on what electronical appliances are around it???

5. Check the ground wire that goes from the back of your volume pot to the bridge (string ground), also the ground connection on your output jack.

~Stan

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes. A CRT monitor or non-plasma/LCD tv will cause plenty of hum.

It's also possible that your bass is no longer grounded. Does the hum stop or get quieter when you touch the strings?

7. kynoch

kynoch

Jun 28, 2006
    Hey, you know what, I was playing my bass right next to my laptop and so on the advice about CRT monitors and non plasma/LCD TV's I turned it off and what do you know? the buzz dramatically decreased.....that was awsome!!!!

Then........

........I put my bass on the floor and damn the BUZZZ Increased like 100% it was insane......I guess under the floor there is some kinda electrical issues going on.......CRAZY.

I also checked the ground on my Bass and it seems (I have little REAL Knowlege) Ok and connected fine. soooooooooo..... Hmmmm.... I think its some electronical device or something that is causing the problem.

8. kynoch

kynoch

Jun 28, 2006
    Hey Thanks thats a GREAT thread.....
    ......Anyone know where to get some of that copper foil?

9. Just about anyone that sells quality guitar electronics parts. AllParts, Stewart MacDonald, me.

~Stan

10. kynoch

kynoch

Jun 28, 2006
    Ok......I will Get hold of some of that Copper Foil........I only wish I was in Florida and I would stop by "Has-Sound" and buy some off you..............It would make a change from this Rainy London weather......thanks

11. Yeah it's pretty nice down here this time of year :hyper:

~Stan

12. kynoch

kynoch

Jun 28, 2006
    Hey,

I found out another source of noise!!!!!!
    I was playing my bass through a KORG Pandora (Not the latest one) and it made the Buzz. As soon as I went direct into my amp it stopped......Hmmmmmm.......even with the laptop on.

Could it be the KORG?????