1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender BV 9151 UJ P bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by M-rek, Oct 27, 2018.

1. hey there
    I was looking for a cheap P bass on ebay to put a fretless neck on and stumbled upon this...
    Ebay title says „Fender Precision Bass BV 9151 UJ“. This is also written on the headstock. What is BV 9151 UJ? Never heard before and I couldn‘t find any info. Googling leads to the ebay ad.
    Here are some pics of the bass. If my eyes don‘t play tricks on me, I think the pickup covers say „Alembic“, is that possible?
    All in all, I feel like this is bogus and I hardly dare to aks but what do you think of this, is this a „Fender“ or just a homemade project bass with a waterslide decal?
    A6713389-E14B-4123-B309-A038296B7FD7. 2113AB4F-A206-41D8-AE98-B1F79499DEC6. 3B35F29E-B7F3-4B91-B7D0-F046C0F328D6. 7F2A6855-A215-4AEA-AFAC-99DC3E16DCF6.

2. 3 bolt neck P bass?

Subbed.

ArthurNemko likes this.
  3. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Looks like a 70’s style of sorts. Has a jacked up brass nut. Bullet truss rod adjuster 3 bolt neck.

If it’s a Fender it has all the “cool” Mods to that era. As far as pickups go, they could be an aftermarket deal.

Interesting to say the least. Looks cool. I like it.

ArthurNemko likes this.
  4. Thanks for the input so far. Oh yeah, forgot to mention: the neck is broken, see picture below (which doesn‘t concern me as I‘ll swap the neck anyway). Also it comes with the seemingly original pickups and stuff.
    7ED2E25D-0F1A-405B-8D56-3A886EFA2EF6. 32AE72B1-846F-4051-AE6B-EA6F0EA6E57D.
    I think I‘ll ask the seller for some more info to find out what exactly this is. I guess I should start by asking him to take off the neck and send some pics from the neck heel and the body joint, right? Anything else I should ask while I‘m at it?

5. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    Those are Alembic Activators indeed, and most likely also with Alembic electronics.

ArthurNemko likes this.
  6. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I wonder why there are no dots on the neck. That was a joke. Because there are dots. And they are big.

4sight, rmayer and ArthurNemko like this.
  7. Yeah, I noticed that too, never seen dots that big :D does that hint more towards a possible non-authenticity?

Okay, sounds interesting. So by Alembic electronics, do you mean it might have one of those filter pots? Sorry, I‘m everything but an expert when it comes to Alembic, never heard one live, let alone played one. Are the pickups any good?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  8. Alright, fired a mail to the seller asking him to take off the PG and the neck and to send me some more pics. Although he offers a 30 days return, so I might just give it a go and see for myself... No, that must be the gas coming through, I‘ll wait till tomorrow and see what he says... or will I?

9. ScottfromCalgary

ScottfromCalgary Supporting Member

May 10, 2015
    Calgary
    I’m also not an expert but that doesn’t look like a fender to me at all. Also if I’m not mistaken fender didn’t do a 3-bolt neck on the P Bass, only the Jazz? Someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

PeterH and baTassi like this.
  10. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    The decal doesn’t look too sharp to me. I also don’t ever remember seeing “bass” on an angle like that. I could be wrong but combined with the fretboard XL dots, I’m thinking this one isn’t too authentic.

11. Not an expert, but the neck doesn't scream Fender to me, and that decal at the very least is horrific.

I really like the body though, but I have to question it... It looks like one piece, but it's almost so perfect and clean it could be a laminate?

12. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Unless the bass can be obtained for the cost that would match the value of pickups and bridge, why bother?

The neck is a fake (no skunk stripe, wrong truss rod opening let alone the dots and the decal) and not in the best of shapes, the body pretty but unlikely a Fender one...it's not like there's an ongoing shortage of P-Basses anywhere in the civilized world. You can do better than this.

saabfender likes this.
  13. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

Not a Fender neck, that's for sure. It looks like the logo has been branded on there... Shape's wrong too, and there is no "BV etc" model. Looks like someone threw some parts together to me, if the neck's a write off anyway, then it's just worth whatever you think those parts are worth.

14. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Bridge looks crooked. That’s a fake for me.

15. Zero fret? Cool idea, but was that ever a Fender thing?

16. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Lol @that pickguard

Old Garage-Bander and saabfender like this.
  17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    A Fender P bass with a 3 bolt neck and zero fret...really?

saabfender likes this.
  18. Yeah and someone’s aim was off a bit on that pick guard screw just to the right of the jazz pickup.

With all the questions and the rust, broken neck. Unless I could get it for a really really cheap parts only price, I walk.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    dtsamples likes this.
  19. Thank you all for the feedback so far!

Another good point. I also don‘t really know those badass bridges. But I googled it and...
    BB00ED6B-1ABF-4727-85BC-D38F698D533B.
    Obviously they use 3 screws, right? The one on the „Fender Bass“ has 5 screws, so that smells fishy, too.

Like I said before, I‘m really a newb when it comes to Alembic. Do you have a clue what these Alembic parts (and the bridge) might be worth then?
    Seller‘s asking price is €460 - about $525 - and he‘s taking offers. But right now my impression is just that...
    0C99F1AA-16CC-4D9A-8953-824A8F9EC87B.

20. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

€460 for THAT?! :roflmao::roflmao: