Fender BXR 100 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimothy, Jan 14, 2003.

1. jimothy

Dec 12, 2001
    taylors sc
    I am looking for a backup practice amp (2 guitar players, drummer, mostly blues, folk, and classic rock). My local vintage equipment store has a Fender BXR 100 Combo for $150. It sounds pretty good. Any opinions out there?
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Whenever I see someone using one for performance, they have this really muddy sound.
    I bet it would be fine as a practice amp though.
  3. goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    I had BXR60 combo and I was satisfied with the sound, unless I ran past 7 on volume. I guess that BXR100 would be louder and you have more tonal possibilities with it's graffic eq. For that price, I think you'll be satisfied (but keep in mind that sound gets a lot worse on higher volumes).
    And one more thing; it starts losng power when it heats up.
  4. I own one of those..

If your going to use it as a practice amp, I think the price is a very nice offer. The only observations I can make, is that it doesnt accentuate highs as good and clear as other similar amps and is not as punchy as well.
  5. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I have one as well. It was my first decent bass amp, and I still use it twice a week as a practice amp in one band's garage.

No, they're not as crisp or punchy as some other combos out there, but IMO you won't find a better or louder one for $150.

One more piece of advice, if you do buy it, try not to sell it later down the road to pay for another amp. I play in two bands at the moment, practicing a total of 4 nights a week. This simply wouldn't continue If I had to lug my head/cabinet around every day. It's nice to have a decent amp that I can leave in the practice space (garage) and not worry about something happening to it.
  6. submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I used to have one. That's probably the loudest amp you'll find for $150.
  7. hey, i have one of those too, it does get a little muddy when you crank it, but for 150.00 i say go for it. they're not bad little amps, plus for 150.00, i dont think you can go wrong, especially if you intend on using it as a practice amp. mine was $350.00 new 5 years ago, and i have every intention on keeping it around for a while.
  8. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    It is definitely loud. It has no tone, but its loud.

I use one for practices/rehearsals, but I have a little more pride than to use one on stage. Except maybe for a super small gig, where I could use it at low volume and hide it behind the drummer.
  9. I also have a BXR 100 as a practice amp that sits in my band's rehearsal space. It is fine for that application, but I would hesitate to bring it to a performance. $150 is a good deal for a useful practice amp! If you want it for performance, it would work OK until you get something that is louder and has more clarity. This is a good beginner amp if you are tight on funds! It is a lot better than my first amp way back in the 1970's! Gosh am I that old? -Wes
  10. G L Raymond

G L Raymond

Nov 21, 2011
    I played a Fender BXR 100 combo amp. for the first time last week and was really impressed with 2 things. Although it lacked the deep lows and highs of my bi-amped rig it worked really well with my 5 string fretless fender. It had that "classic" fender sound with my bass which was really nice AND the other surprising thing is it seemed to have sustain. This is something I had not heard with solid state amps. It did loose power as the night went on. Is there a higher power comparable or better sounding amp?
  11. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    I have a BXR25 combo. I still cant believe the tone that comes out of this little thing.

If they made a 500 watt model, I'd buy it.:bassist: