Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender BXR 100 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimothy, Jan 14, 2003.

1. jimothy

jimothy

Dec 12, 2001
    taylors sc
    I am looking for a backup practice amp (2 guitar players, drummer, mostly blues, folk, and classic rock). My local vintage equipment store has a Fender BXR 100 Combo for $150. It sounds pretty good. Any opinions out there?

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Whenever I see someone using one for performance, they have this really muddy sound.
    I bet it would be fine as a practice amp though.

3. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    I had BXR60 combo and I was satisfied with the sound, unless I ran past 7 on volume. I guess that BXR100 would be louder and you have more tonal possibilities with it's graffic eq. For that price, I think you'll be satisfied (but keep in mind that sound gets a lot worse on higher volumes).
    And one more thing; it starts losng power when it heats up.

4. I own one of those..

If your going to use it as a practice amp, I think the price is a very nice offer. The only observations I can make, is that it doesnt accentuate highs as good and clear as other similar amps and is not as punchy as well.

5. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I have one as well. It was my first decent bass amp, and I still use it twice a week as a practice amp in one band's garage.

No, they're not as crisp or punchy as some other combos out there, but IMO you won't find a better or louder one for $150.

One more piece of advice, if you do buy it, try not to sell it later down the road to pay for another amp. I play in two bands at the moment, practicing a total of 4 nights a week. This simply wouldn't continue If I had to lug my head/cabinet around every day. It's nice to have a decent amp that I can leave in the practice space (garage) and not worry about something happening to it.

6. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I used to have one. That's probably the loudest amp you'll find for $150.

7. hey, i have one of those too, it does get a little muddy when you crank it, but for 150.00 i say go for it. they're not bad little amps, plus for 150.00, i dont think you can go wrong, especially if you intend on using it as a practice amp. mine was $350.00 new 5 years ago, and i have every intention on keeping it around for a while.

8. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    It is definitely loud. It has no tone, but its loud.

I use one for practices/rehearsals, but I have a little more pride than to use one on stage. Except maybe for a super small gig, where I could use it at low volume and hide it behind the drummer.

9. I also have a BXR 100 as a practice amp that sits in my band's rehearsal space. It is fine for that application, but I would hesitate to bring it to a performance. $150 is a good deal for a useful practice amp! If you want it for performance, it would work OK until you get something that is louder and has more clarity. This is a good beginner amp if you are tight on funds! It is a lot better than my first amp way back in the 1970's! Gosh am I that old? -Wes

10. G L Raymond

G L Raymond

Nov 21, 2011
    I played a Fender BXR 100 combo amp. for the first time last week and was really impressed with 2 things. Although it lacked the deep lows and highs of my bi-amped rig it worked really well with my 5 string fretless fender. It had that "classic" fender sound with my bass which was really nice AND the other surprising thing is it seemed to have sustain. This is something I had not heard with solid state amps. It did loose power as the night went on. Is there a higher power comparable or better sounding amp?

11. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I have a BXR25 combo. I still cant believe the tone that comes out of this little thing.

If they made a 500 watt model, I'd buy it.:bassist: