1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender BXR 300C Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mlshermancpa, Apr 14, 2009.

1. I have a nice Fender BXR 300C combo amp. Supposedly, the amp is the same as the BXR 300R which was designed for rack mount. Since the combo is so heavy, I'm thinking about pulling it out of the case and using it standalone (with a smaller speaker cab). Has anyone ever tried this? If so, any problems encountered?

Thx.

Mike

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You would build a head case?

3. Mike-
    I did the same thing with a Peavey Combo 300 a while back. My buddy build a rack for me. I didn't have any problems. I put the head back in the combo when I sold it. Depending on where the ground wire is hooked up, you'll want to make sure it's grounded correctly.

4. JEDBass

JEDBass

Mar 10, 2009
    West Hartford, CT
    I used to have this same combo amp. Agreed that it's quite heavy, and when I owned it I thought about doing the same exact thing. When I first looked at attempting it, I found that you would defintiely need to build some sort of case around it along with rack ears. IIRC, it should fit in a 2U space with a little space left around it. The reason I ended up not going through with it is that I felt that for the time I'd need to spend doing it plus the cost of materials, it just made more sense to sell the combo and throw in a little more money for a decent used head, which is exactly what I did, ending up with a GK 1001RB. More power, more tone shaping options (though of course it's a different tone than the BXR), and fairly lightweight. Unless you're really in love with the tone of the BXR and can live with the modest output (I think it only puts our something like 220 watts into 8 ohms, 300 into 4 ohms), it might not be worth your time to do this.

5. DopplerShift

DopplerShift

Apr 19, 2005
    Chicago Area
    I did that exact thing with a BXR 300C. One thing I ran into was that I couldn't add rack ears because the chassis was too wide to fit into a rack case. Luckily I had a kases 4 space rack unit that was a Masonite box surrounded with cloth. I drilled 4 holes into the top of the Masonite and mounted the BXR 300 from the top rather than with the rack rails.

6. Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input. Sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth.

Mike

7. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I've done this many times with mine. I think there are just four screws to remove. The 300C is identical to the 300R - same amp. If you want to use a smaller cab like a 2x10 or a smaller 15 or whatever else - there's no reason you cant pull the head.

8. How did you carry it? Instead of making a rack I've been thinking about buying a soft case to protect it. Any thoughts?

Mike

9. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    At the time I just put the head in an old suitcase with a little bit of foam to keep it from flopping around. If I were to do it now - I would probably build a small head box with handles to slip it in and secure via the original screws/bolts - just how it was mounted in the original cab.

10. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    just remember that the open side needs to be, well, open. youd think with all of the vents on the front that cooling would be fine. but if you push it hard and have the end closed up (or blocked in your enclosure) you run the risk of cooking an output transistor. i had one, and that is exactly what i did--- on all accounts.

11. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    If you build a head with a lid, sides, and bottom, and leave the back and front open you'll be fine.

12. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    to quote my post above:
    "thats exactly what i did, on all accounts"

of course, i pushed it pretty hard... but i had output failure not once, but twice. after th first time, a higher cfm fan was installed, and (i think?) reversed so that it sucked air in from the back, instead of exhausting back there. the amp guy thought that would be the answer, but it apparently wasnt.

FWIW, YMMV, etc etc.

13. abnmojo

abnmojo

Jul 16, 2010
    North Carolina
    Not to necro a post but I was wondering if anyone has tried to get the 300C amp into a 300R chasis. Back when I was playing in a band I pulled the 300C head and "made it fit" into a plywood rack case, but it would slide back and forth in there as it was too wide for rack ears. For trasport to and from gigs, i just wedged something in there to keep it from moving arround.

Looking to get back into playing semi-pro or professionally again, even as a bass player if need be, and really would like to hang on to this amp as it served me very, very well for a decade with that BBE preamp. Just want to rack mount it THE RIGHT WAY this time.

Thanks