Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender BXR 300C--?'s, online owner's manual?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emor, Jul 20, 2004.

1. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    I am starting to look at something bigger than my practice amp that I can use to play in a band situation. I'm not actually playing with others yet, but will be looking for a blues/rock kind of thing. I've been looking at combos, but I'm not sure if they would be powerful enough for playing with a drummer, etc. Also, I'd rather not spend a fortune until I see where this is going.

I have a line on a used Fender BXR 300C for around $300. I haven't played through it yet, but the price is looking better than some of the new stuff I've been looking at.

Questions:
    Will it be loud enough? (I'm thinking I could add an 8 ohm 2-10" cab to get more punch and get the full 300 watts--it comes with a single 15".)

Is there an online source for the owner's manual?

Any comments from anyone with experience with this amp would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. I used one in a classic rock band(70s-80s) with a loud drummer and it kept up fine.I had a cabinet with a Black Widow 15"speaker that I built to use with it but most of the time I used it the amp without the extra speaker.The tone was allright but it was kind of bulky and heavy to haul around.The 210 cabinet would be a good idea to cut through the mix and add punch.Also it sounds way better with a Sans Amp Bass Driver pedal added.I got rid of it when I got a Trace elliot head and a 210 cabinet to go with my 115 I built.I got tired of hauling the big combo back and forth to practice and gigs.With the head and two small cabinets I could leave one cabinet at home and one at practice and just haul my head and bass.If your strapped for cash the BXR would be a good pick,it has decent tone and enough power to keep up in a band but a head and cabinet would be more versitile.

3. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    Well I have the BXR 300R (rack model) with 15" cab. The BXR300C is exactly the same built as a combo. Here you have the manual
    http://www.mrgearhead.net/faq/pdf/basspdf/BXR_300C.pdf

I added a 1x12" cab and now I'm pretty satisfied. It's probably not the most good sounding bass amp in the world but reliable. Some comments.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data/Fender/BXR_300C-01.html

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data/Fender/BXR_300C_Head-01.html

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data/Fender/BXR_300R-01.html

4. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Thanks for the responses and the links.
    I'll check 'em out when I get home from work tonight.

5. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    If you go to the Fender site, Fender.com, under resources is a section called Mr. Gearhead. Manuals for the 300 are there. Hope this helps.

6. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Well, I took a pass on this one.

I pulled it out and played through it today.
    The cab was more beat up than I had noticed before and someone had pulled out the grounding plug. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but when I plugged in and started to play, there was an usnsettling rattle in the lower register (volume set on 4). Can a speaker be blown on only some frequencies??

Too bad, the size and price were good.

Will continue the search, but now I'm also considering buying a head and speakers and building the cabs myself.

Thanks again for the replies.

7. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    There can be several reasons for the ratteling. In best of cases there might be noting wrong at all with your speaker.
    One possibility is that the caster wheels, or actually one of them is ratteling if the amp is standing on an uneaven surface with the one wheel in the air. Been there, done that.
    An other possibility is that the wall behind the amp is ratteling if it's placed too near the wall, or there is just something else in the room that's ratteling. My guess is that it's the wheel that's ratteling.

8. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    In best of cases there might be noting wrong at all with your speaker.
    One possibility is that the caster wheels

Nah, it was the speaker. "Rattling" may have a been a poor choice of word. "Distorted" may be better.
    Stick your tongue between your lips and blow--that's how it sounded. :p :D

9. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland

Now I can hear it! It's a blown speaker. No doubt.