Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender BXR 300C

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by muddywaters, Oct 3, 2003.

1. I just picked up a used Fender BXR 300C. It has one 15" in the cabinet, it's a combo but has jack out for second cab. I down loaded a copy of the owners manual but it didn't tell me the ohm rating of the factory speaker. The head is rated 300 watts at 4 ohms and I'm assuming it has an 8 ohm speaker from the factory so that you can run a second 8 ohm cab to get the 300 watts???? I need to confirm this before I try and find the right cabinet to add to this rig. Am I also right in assuming that it is only running 150 watts without a second cabinet. Some help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.:confused: :confused:

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    If its rated at 300 watts into 4 ohms and it has an 8 ohm speaker then its probably more like 200 watts. Not necessarily half of the wattage. Why dont you call Fender to find out for sure....

3. your right, I just need to call, I can't believe the manual has no spec on the speaker. Thanks

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    from www.partsmart.com...."About Fender Speakers

The following are the most commonly used Fender speakers. If you don't see your model listed....please call us! There are many other speakers available.....Please call us for current prices and delivery.

BXR Bass 15/150 #027577 150W 8 ohm Bass

Big time BXR Series bass speaker with 150 watts of booming low frequency power! A great replacement for older Bassman enclosures as well."

That part number I got out of the manual. The manual says the amp can tun ONLY down to 4ohms so you should get another 8 ohm speaker to be safe and avoid overheating the amp. if you want to maximize your loudness find a cab with the highest possible 'sensitivity' rating.

www.partssmart.com/productlists/spkr.html+fender+speaker+027577&hl=en&ie=UTF-8]Here is the link to info above[/URL]

5. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Yeah - it's an 8-ohm speaker (I have one - which I'd like to sell, actually). You can safely run a second 8-ohm speaker in parallel. I agree with another poster - the output with only one speaker (8 ohms total) is probably closer to 200 watts.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Just as a contrast, I owned the BXR200 model which was 200w @ 4ohms but had a 4ohm speaker in the cab so I was getting the full 200w.

With the BXR300C model having a 8ohm speaker, if you don't want to bother with an extension cab just switch out the 8ohm'r with a 4ohm'r.

7. I had one of these a few years ago.It's an 8 ohm speaker like the other guys said.I used it in a classic rock band and it worked pretty well by itself.I had a 15" 8 ohm Peavey black widow ext.speaker I used with it for outside or large rooms.Not too bad an amp.

8. Thanks to everyone, the speaker in the manual is listed as #027577 so it's the 150 watt 8 ohm. I appreciate the info. Going to gig small joint tonight with it to see how it sounds but will have my other with me just in case, lol. :D

9. Haha...found this thread during a search for what the actual ohms are on my BXR300c so that I can add another cab......and yes ..nowhere in the manual does it say that the original speaker is 8 ohms......after reading this I believe that I have been running at 150w @8 0hms stock and if I add another 8 ohm 15"cab the amp will be running 300w @4ohms which is within spec for the amp........please correct me if I have it wrong.
    It's a great combo...yes it's heavy, but it's made in the US of A which is rare these days........Many say that they are tonally challenged but I disagree....maybe if you slap and pluck a lot but I don't ......so with some tweeking I can get those nice Paul McCartney\ Allan Parsons kind of sounds that I like. I like to blend in with what's going on rather than dominate it. :) Anyway I have owned this amp since new......15 years or more and it's a rock.. (Literally :) ) Only ever had one input fixed in all that time ...and as far as I can see, the somewhat excessive weight equates to sturdy construction .........Not like a GK combo I tried the other day .........I tried to pick it up to test it for weight and nearly threw it over my shoulder..hardly encouraging! :)

10. Just one question.....if my speaker is rated at 150 watts and I add another 8 ohm 15"cab rated at say 3/400 watts is there a conflict of any sort?

11. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes

Oct 17, 2013
    No good to call FENDER, I'm retired now. The stock speaker is 8 Ohm, and true the amp makes about 200W in that trim. With a second cab and total impedance of 4 Ohm, we.re looking at 330W.

That power amp will unofficially do 520W at 2 Ohm, but may harmlessly thermal out if played hard.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
    SeattleSunn and webmonster like this.