1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender BXR Fifteen questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Krtalaz91, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Krtalaz91

Krtalaz91

Apr 12, 2009
    Warren, MI
    Hello, I am a new bass player. I've been playing for about a month now, every day, and I'm just wondering about my amp. I have a Fender BXR Fifteen so I guess it is considered a 15 watt amp, but it says 45W on the back. Is this the power consumption and if so, why is it called a 15 watt amp? I know it's a pretty small amp and doesn't get extremely loud, but would it ever be possible to do a really small gig with it?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Is it called a fifteen because it has a 15" speaker. The BXR's are from the 80's, and not bad amps at all. Can you post a picture, front and back?

3. Krtalaz91

Krtalaz91

Apr 12, 2009
    Warren, MI
    Oh, ok. So I guess it is a 45W then, which makes sense. Here's some pics of it. So do you think it would be possible to do some small gigs with it?

Attached Files:

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

That 45w marking is how much is used from the power line. Therefore the amp is probably a 15w amp.

It depends what else is going on at your gig. You can do gigs without a drummer for sure. Add drums and electric guitars and probably not.

But with PA support, you'd only need the amp as a personal monitor, so it could work.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, that's a practice amp. Not really enough oomph for live rock music. Even as a stage monitor, it would be very difficult to hear over pounding drums and blazing guitars. For a gig rig, you'll want alot more power, and much more speaker area, like a 4x10 or better.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    man. when i read the title to this thread i thought he had 15 questions about his amp!

..............................(and that's one question per watt!)

7. Krtalaz91

Krtalaz91

Apr 12, 2009
    Warren, MI
    Ok, well thanks for the help. I'm still a little confused as to what the 15W means since 45W is the input.

8. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I've got a BXR 300 and it's pretty cool. Had it for like 25 years now, still works great, so if that's any indication you'll get good use from this one.

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    45W at the input means that it draws 45 watts from the AC line in order to produce 15 watts of power at the output. ( no amp is 100% efficient).

10. Krtalaz91

Krtalaz91

Apr 12, 2009
    Warren, MI
    Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the help and other info. Much appreciated :)

11. ...and according to online info I found you have an 8" speaker in there...