1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fender bxr100 or crate bx100 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j-bass-kreep, Jun 21, 2005.

1. hi I can get these amps for 180-200 dlls each . wich is better , i use a MIJ fender jazz bass and play metal .

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    If you want to use these amps in a band setting then I just wouldnt bother, take along your bass and a microwave, much cheaper, lighter and youll be heard just as well over the band. Not to mention you can make snacks during gigs.

If youre using this for home practice or I suppose if you always have access to a PA system the the Crate is very reliable and sounds quite good. I have not tried the Fender.

3. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    I have a Fender BXR100.
    It's a great little amp, but it is little for a band environment.
    There is a line-out that can be fed into the PA which could help.

I've been drowned out in practice by a guy with a Marshall 1/2stack, and I don't play metal.

4. I use the crate rigth now however its on loan and i want to buy it so I have the security that it is my amp . I dont have a problem being heard because there is only one guitar player and he uses two 30 watt combos . I like to boost my mids a lot therefore I never get crushed in my band . However someone is offering me a fender bxr100 for 180 ,20 dollars cheaper than the crate and i wanted to know wich is more realiable and practical . I dont like a lot of bass in my tone . I like the J bite with a lot of mids .

5. I own a Fender BXR100, and it does pretty good. It has a decent eq, so you can shape your sound how you want. If you like mids, this amp will actually punch it through ok. If you like a real deep tone, this amp can't compete with a Marshall 1/2 stack (my guitar player also), but the mids seem to do OK. If you're choosing between the two, my advice is the Fender. I've had it for 6 years now, and have even dropped it down the stairs and it still sounds good.

Bottom line, the BXR100 is a good practice amp and is good for shows where you can run into the PA, but on it's own it can't hold the stage quite as well.