1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender BXR300C - Good replacement speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deville2Rocket, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Hi guys/gals,

My buddy just bought an old red-knob era Fender BXR300C, and is considering upgrading the old 15" speaker to something with a little more "oomph".

He's looking for old-school girth... a classic, non hi-fi tone.

He plays a Hofner copy, and is a total Beatles fanatic.

He needs an efficient, loud speaker that'll handle small to medium sized rooms by itself. What speaker would you recommend?

I understand that cabinet volume measurements are useful, and asked him to measure it. I'll have those numbers asap.

Thanks in advance!

2. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    If the internal speaker is 8 ohms, then you can add an external cabinet.
    If the internal speaker sounds OK, your money might be better spent in adding another cabinet.

3. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    on the other hand, a 4 ohm high-efficiency speaker will produce a lot more sound than the relatively low efficiency 8 ohm "fender" eminence speaker.

probably the best answer is another cab. maybe even another cab, then ditching the bxr-c cab. they are almost entirely constructed of particleboard, and as such is really heavy, but not incredibly strong. also, the huge slot vent doesnt seem to be tuned to an appropriate frequency for that driver in that size of a box (internal volume is actually pretty small for as big as this box is).

i had that amp from new back in the 90's. i pushed the crap out of it until i blew the speaker, trying to somehow find the volume that it couldnt deliver. i put a 1502 4 ohm black widow in there---- had to remove one of the braces so it would fit, lol. results? it *was* quite a bit louder, as BW's are efficient, and the 4 ohm load pulled the full power (i think it was listed at something like 210 watts into 8 ohms). but the ugly truth is that it just didnt sound that good. in fact, that amp ruined me to slot vents for a long time (which i now realize was erroneous in its basis).

BTW, if he does consider removing the head and building something, the enclosure will need some ventilation on the side of the chassis that is open. it *looks* like the front vents would get it done, but they dont. with the endorsement of a "respected" amp guy where i lived at the time, i didnt take this into consideration. after blowing it up the first time, said amp guy repaired it and put in a beefier fan. when i blew it the second time (6-8 months later, and probably 12 years ago) i put it in the closet, and have since carried it and the cab with me on every move i have made (lots). maybe i will put it back together one day?

4. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I also had a BXR300C I bought new in 97 or so. I thought it might sound better with a Black Widow too so I put an 8 ohm 1502 in mine. It didn't seem to make a difference in the sound, the Fender speaker sounded just as good to my ear. I put the Fender speaker back in and built a seperate cabinet for the Peavey speaker. With both speakers it was loud and had a decent tone.