Fender C.S. 60's Jazz pups vs. Fender "Original" Jazz pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funkdaddy, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Looking for opinions of these two Fender Jazz pickups.......Custom Shop 60's vs. "Original". Which of these two pickups has more midrange and "growl" (for lack of a better word)? The tone I'm thinking of is along the lines of Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller, Darryl Jones and Larry Graham. My current pickups (Lindy Fralin) are great but are a bit too warm for my taste.

And just out of curiosity, how authentic do some of the passive humcancelling Jazz pickups on the market sound as compared to true single coils (using that "classic" Jazz Bass tone as a reference)? I'm referring to pickups such as DiMarzio Ultra Jazz, Seymour Duncan Classic Stack and Bill Lawrence J-45.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I just installed a set of CS 60's in my '62 RI Jazz, which had a set of Duncan Basslines Hot Jazz when I got it. I'd have to say that the CS '60s are closer to the Basslines than to stock Fender MIA-type pickups. I expected a rounder, warmer and more "vintage" tone, but only got that to a certain degree. The CS set is definitely more "hi-fi" than what you'd find in an original vintage Jazz bass, but with a fuller low-end than recent stock Fenders.

My take on the CS stuff is to expect a "tweaked" vintage tone (more hyped-up highs)....similar to the aftermarket stuff, but with a bit less output. For the tones of the players you mentioned above, I think among Fender products, the CS would be the way to go....but the Basslines would be even more appropriate.