Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender cab....crap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Sep 22, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i plugged in my new amp. a qsc power amp 700 watts at 4 ohms bridged.

welli turn on my amp..and pre (swr iod) 10 seconds of play..then no sound...there is very little sound...

welli discounect both circut boards inside..and only two speakers work...the other two don't even show any resistence on my ohm meter....

is this cab worth it..or should i just cut it in half into a 2x10...ive done this before with great results..

opinions? and what do you think happened?

thanks
    steve

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check the internal wiring.

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    I did it direct to the speaker..i redid the wiring so its just a 2x10 right now..but im not playing through it...

steve

4. What fender cab did you plug this power amp into?
    Is the cab rated to handle 700 watts?
    What circuit boards inside did you disconnect?
    Do you mean you unhooked the crossover?

The standard Fender 4x10 cab can only handle 300 watts. They use 75 watt speakers so if you have it wired as a 210 then it will only be able to handle 150 watts.

You need to give us some more information if you want any quality advice.

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    umm...i can put a 1000 watt head onto a 30 watt speaker and not have any problems....

i connected the speaker directly to the ohm meter..0 ohms

and yes i meant to dissconnect the crossover...:rolleyes:

ummmm if you really don't know what you are talking about please don't post...sorry no hard feelings

steve

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sure, as long as you don't turn it up past 1.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    buts its still possible..im just trying to make a point. and my amp is 350 watts at 8 ohms...

steve

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    well, i think you just ruined a couple of speakers. thats about the size of it.

9. I'm not offended man, just trying to educate you a bit on how not to fry a speaker. I happen to be an electronics engineer with over 15 years of experience working with audio gear.

You may be able to run that much power into a speaker...for a few minutes...then they blow...and measure 0 ohms.

Even running just 350 watts into a 300 watt cab can blow the speakers, especially if the amp is clipping. The reason you only blew two of the speakers is that the cab is wired in series/parallel and once the first two speakers blew there was no path for the power to get to the other two to blow them

Luckily those speakers are not too expensive to replace.
    Musicans Friend has them for about $40 each.

I would suggest replacing them and taking it easy with the power with that cab, or get one that can handle the power better. I like the Avatar cabs myself, they handle HUGE amounts of power and sound great...cheap too.

Scott

10. Come on...weren't you the guy who made the thread about ignoring the impedance rating on your SWR Workingman's head? And even after a bunch of people recommended against it, you INSISTED it would be fine?

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    actaully no i didn't but thanks for playing...i was actually asking why i couldn't...so i would know why....

steve

12. The thread is gone (presumably deleted, because it made you come across as an oaf), but it certainly wasn't the first time you decided to ignore advice because you thought you knew better. If you already know the answer, what's the point of even asking about anything? You're so circular.

It just seems funny for you, of all people, to crticise others for "not knowing what you're talking about".

13. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Is this kind of stuff really necessary?

14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    what is the point of this? to make you feel better? to make you seem bigger? no really why?

im looking for why this happened not i don't care what you say im going to do what i want anyways....

and im asking what happned? and why?
    not hey lets put every one down....

lets keep to the point of the thread all right?
    and if you have no input about the problem please don't respond..but hey thanks anyways

and o this makes you seem like a jackass..but its all cool

steve

15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, I don't think FunkyC came off as a jackass. I think he was just commenting on your snarky attitude when someone asked for clarification. You know--the whole "Pot calling the kettle black" thing....

16. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i didn't meant to come off with an attitude with onewaypunk...it came out wrong...and im sorry

he clarified what happned..thats the end of it..no use for someone to be like o didn't you do this..look at me...

steve

17. Haha...I can recall ten or fifteen times when I've seen YOU doing just that. Pot--kettle. That's all I'm saying. If you really want answers to your questions, maybe you ought to reconsider the way you treat people.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think everybody can see there's only one person who looks like this around here and there's certainly an o in his name!! ;)

19. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well first i couldn't care less..this is all jsut bull anyways..and i was aggravated when i replied...but hey what ever

and funky had no point in my question to say anything except for me to look like an ass..thats it..

so what ever..the only reason he replied is for me to look bad..and i was asking because i didn't know..

steve

20. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    What bass cabinet are we talking about here? we still don't know that unless fender made only one? I only seee one attitude on this thread and yes I could understand frustration, but Steve-o you got alot of 'dumb' responses because the other guys had to assume what you were talking about.

take it to a fender shop.