Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender California Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by air_leech, Oct 23, 2005.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I saw a jazz bass ata local music store with a tag that said Fender California Jazz bass and it had the Fender logo on the headstock.

however I understood that California basses are Squire basses and the price was more likely to be a Squire price.
    of course the sales person knew nothing about it...

does anyone know if there its a Fender bass or Squire started using the fender logo now?

2. To the best of my knowledge, and I never pretend to be a Fender expert (just a fanastic), but there was a line made a few years ago that was called the California series. I believe these isntruments are MIA and there were both Jazz and Precision versions. I think they are the equivalent to the HIghway One line that is now offered.

As I said earlier, I am no expert and I'm sure that soon some Fender expert will come by and prove me totally wrong. But at the same time I can learn something from it.

3. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    in the mid/late 90s for a year or two (maybe three?) they made the California series.

basically, they made the guitars in the US, finished the bodies in Mexico (where the emissions/environmental controls are laxer/cheaper).

the difference between them and the MIA std's were that the california's (at least the guitar line) featured "vintage" instead of "american standard" hardware (bridges, tuners, etc).

this means they shared the same hardware as the American Vintage lines- NOT the mexican lines.

eventually, fender discontinued the line. however, the Jimmie Vaughan strat used to have the same setup in terms of the hardware (and hardware alone), which was the saeme as the Am. Vin. series.

4. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    oh well, am. std. bodies from the 90's werent so good were they?

anyway, I'm gonna check the bass tommorow again, probably its a squier and for some reason I remember seeing fender (and the tag said Fender California Jazz Bass too) but if its a real fender I'd snatch it on the place, its priced at less than 200$!

5. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    cali for less than 200? either the shop is stupid, or something is fishy.

the guitars regularly bring in 500 bucks a pop.

as for am std bodies not being good? bullpucky.