1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender California Special?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GreaserMatt, Apr 13, 2010.

1. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I used to rock one of these about 10 years ago; Matt Freeman (Rancid) used to play one & I was (am still) a huge fan. They made them for like a year or two I think; they have a jazz type neck on a P body w/ the jazz pup at the bridge & the split precision pups at the neck. Please post pics if you own one!

2. Learn how to use the search function...it does work.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29558

3. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    The OP asked for pics of TBer's instruments.

Your helpful search reminder found a few post regarding the bass.

Why can't people have a conversation without someone chiming in search? There are only a finite amount of basses and a lot of members here, so I'd imagine most subjects would be covered.

Personally I've never heard of a California P, so if he didn't post this, I probably still wouldn't have.

Is it really such an intrusion or should we only read NBD posts 'cause you should be able to find anything else with search?

4. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    +1 :scowl:

5. well - it gets very annoying reading the same redundant threads over and over and over and over again.

Alot of people (not the OP) seem to just join and blurt out questions without even checking to see if the question has been covered. Which it HAD.

my orig post was a general statement & not necessarily aimed at the OP. No offense matt.

by the way:
    what is the weight of a p-bass?
    what's the difference between regular warwicks and rockbasses?
    what's the difference between a Jazz and P-bass?
    what's the difference between a squier and a fender?
    how do I get a punk bass tone?
    what's that round thing on the fender headstock?
    Can I spray paint my bass?
    Why did my amp blow up when I plugged it into the toaster?

Also, I hear google has a great image search engine. :eyebrow:

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    California series, made in the late 90s (97-99ish?). They were american parts, finsihed in mexico, and then assembled in the US so that they were technically "made in the USA". I think they preceded the mexican deluxe line which later added active eq to essentially the same bass. Manny Carrero of Glassjaw/Saves the Day has been playing one for a long time.

7. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Thanks.

That's why I come here, to expand my exposure and get info.

I agree there are plenty of repeat threads but you can just not open it. It's going to help someone. I may never have heard of Rockbass or Warwick, so even if its a repeat, the comparison is new to me. Maybe I pull one off the wall next time I see one.

It's all good.

Knowledge is power.

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Back on topic - please...

So TB's - show us your Cal Specials (not the one's you made in the garage like most of us old-timers!)

9. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    So are you going to answer those or make us look them up?

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Wow, maybe you've been spending a little too much time on here...:scowl: Take a break, go play some bass.

Still, I would love to see a pic of one of these - as I can't recall ever seeing one in person.

11. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Bro... if you see something you don't like, or you find annoying, the best thing to do is just walk away, not say anything, or mosey on down to the amp section. ;)

12. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
  13. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Oops, soory. Shoulda read the whole thread before I blasted you. I haven't been on here in a while; I guess I could've used the search function. I'm used to it not working (been over at HC too much!). Hopefully I don't get banned, LOL. I'm quite drunk at the moment, LOL...

14. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Ha ha; I used to own the opposite: a jazz body w/ a p neck...