1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender candy red - gold flake base coat turning green :(

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaseyVancouver, Aug 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. image. image. [​IMG]My '81 'pre special' candy red has a gold base that has gone slightly green.

It is as if the metal in the paint has some kind of electronic thing going on. The red candy coat then gets unstable and flakes off. The missing paint on this bass is because of that process.

This pic is from yesterday when it was apart for fixing a ground hum issue. You can see the paint under the pick guard has not faded in 36 years but the paint is not solid or stable.

Never thought this would happen to the flashy and cool red bass I bought in '81. I still dig the bass and it plays really nice. Used it for hundreds of gigs. A repaint would make it look new but not sure if that is the way to go.

Can a modern repaint get that candy red look without the metal base?

Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Wisebass likes this.
  2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I have a '64 that was refined in CAR and looks great but I don't know who in Canada to recommend to you. Here in California John Kallas (JohnK on TB) would be able to make it perfect for you.

3. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I think it looks kind of cool.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Feb 11, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Patina...leave it.

5. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's what happens to gold metallic paint. Like the old Gibson Goldtop Les Pauls, once exposed from under the top coat, the gold will start to oxidize due to the bronze powder it contains. I actually didn't know Fender gold paints had bronze like Gibson, as I've never seen any of their gold custom colors (firemist, shoreline) oxidize, but I guess the undercoat on yours has it.

SirMjac28, Stumbo and Fender_Bender like this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    People pay good money to get their new basses to look like that!

7. sbpark

sbpark

May 26, 2010
    Just embrace it and continue to play the paint off of it!

BBQisgood, Wisebass, Midak and 8 others like this.
  8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Feb 11, 2008
    So. Cal.
    If all the flake came off and the gold oxidized, you'd have a unique paint color. :thumbsup::cool::bassist::hyper:drool;):D:):woot::laugh:;):smug:

Wisebass, Aqualung60 and JimmyM like this.
  9. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    Looks well-earned to me

BBQisgood, Midak, Stumbo and 4 others like this.
  10. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Your bass is legitimately road worn, and it has aged beautifully! Keep on rockin' on, the more road wear the better!

BBQisgood, Midak, Stumbo and 3 others like this.
  11. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    It's nice to see authentic relicing...

davedblyoo, BBQisgood, Midak and 4 others like this.
  12. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland
    Old Gibson Goldtop finishes go the same way. From memory it comes about because the metallic particles in the paint oxidise when exposed to the atmosphere, which happens when the clear coat is breached for whatever reason:

[​IMG]

People will pay crazy money to have a finished aged to look like that, so I would wear the bass with pride!

13. Side note on this bass...

Today I took it in to Long & McQuade Port Coquitlam to get some fresh strings.

The salesman 'James' says 'where did you buy this bass'? I say some place on Hastings in '81, can't remember the name.
    He says 'Axis Music' and I probably sold it to you'!
    Wow that was 36 years ago. Yep, it was Axis where I bought it.
    $1100, a lot of money then and the priciest bass Fender built at the time.

I mentioned about repainting ...he said 'DON'T'.

I have to agree.
    Will continue to enjoy the bass and not be bothered by the aging process.

14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The "gold" undercoat is bronze made mostly of copper which oxidizes to a green patina when exposed to the elements. I'd leave it alone.

Coolhandjjl, Stumbo and Axstar like this.
  15. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    I'd send it to Pat Wilkins and have him repaint it, with gloss, just because the Fender Army on here will lose their collective mind if you do that. Plus, Pat does amazing work, and can dial in the exact finish/color you want.
    :)

There is no law that says a Fender must be damaged to have prestige.

12BitSlab and TrustRod like this.
  16. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

honest aging. Leave it be and get into the spirit of it.

CaseyVancouver and Stumbo like this.
  17. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Among other things, I am also a home-brewer. One of my pieces of equipment is a coiled section of copper tubing used to cool the wort (un-fermented beer) after it's been boiled, by running cold water through the tubing. One time I left it outside for a few days and it got discolored. Was afraid I'd ruined it. Was told to just soak it in my acid based non-rinse sanitizer (Star-San brand) that I use for sanitizing all my brewing equipment and it would be fine to use. Stuck it in the sanitizer bucket to soak for a few minutes and when I pulled it out, it looked brand new - bright and shiny.

If you really want to clean up the green, you could probably just spray or wipe some of that on and the green would disappear in a matter of minutes. HOWEVER, I'm like most the other folks here and think you should leave it as-is and just rock that bass!

Axstar, Wisebass and Stumbo like this.
  18. Zane DeBord

Zane DeBord Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Brubeck Institute
    looks pretty awesome to me!

19. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

It has CHARACTER! Don't do a thing to it - some players would pay LOTS of money to do that on a new bass.

I can't say that I a jealous because I like fancy woods better but that is drool-worthy!!!!

Dan

20. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    i have 2 CAR specials. same greenish stuff. great basses very unloved by the world. prices for the specials has been very flat. northash bass weighs a ton but is a tone monster.

Tbone76 likes this.