1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Champ 20 or VOX Mini 3? Guitar AMP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zeyqer, Oct 26, 2013.

1. zeyqer

zeyqer

Aug 19, 2013
  2. zeyqer

zeyqer

Aug 19, 2013
    bump

3. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    Fender

Tabdog

4. Dunno how serious you are about playing guitar but in reality, both of those are (what I would call) "beginner amps". They are budget-priced amps, probably OK in their price range, but they are strictly geared for playing in the bedroom/practice room. The onboard effects are what I would call "cool gimmicks". Useful to a certain degree but after a while I suspect you will get tired of these because they are rather limited. That little 8 inch speaker limits the amp too. Of course that's just my opinion...

If you are even thinking about jamming with other folks, you will need a different amp. Higher quality speaker. Fewer gimmicks but more flexibility, like a couple of foot-switchable channels. Unfortunately the price goes way up very quickly.

Nevertheless, if I had to pick one of the two (and could not pick anything else) I'd go with the Fender. Or look for a Peavey Vyper in the same price range.

5. Jerryr63

Jerryr63

Feb 10, 2010
    That Excelsior is an interesting looking amp with great reviews at Muscians Friend.

I haven't heard it and I sold my last guitar amp after deciding that I mainly play bass now and will use my small bass amp if I get the urge to play guitar.

But if I ever decided to buy a dedicated guitar amp again I will be seriously looking at one of these!! With 13 watts of all tube power and a 15" speaker I suspect this things puts out plenty of sound!!

6. Look around for used Frontman 25r - it's a great beginner amp ($99 new - $35+ used). I have a VOX Mini-3 that I keep on my boat because it runs on batteries and works for what I use it for. But it's very limited. The Frontman has real Fender sound, spring reverb and works like a normal amp rather than modeled effects.