1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Champ 600 ????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fuzzy beard, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Thinking after the wife has the baby and things calm down money wise around here i would like to get a guitar amp for my music room.

I would like a smaller low wattage tube amp with fairly clean tone. I would like to keep it cheaper say 200 or less. I dont play guitar so i dont really know how to demo them at the store.

But i have noticed the Fender champ 600 seems to fit the ticket.

What are your thought's of the amp?

Pro's and con's?

Is there a better option for the money?

2. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    The Fender Champ is pretty good - you can get some pretty nice tones with it. I heard some samples of it, and it seems to be better when distorted compared to clean - I thought the clean was a little quiet. However, I think there's not a huge amount of difference between the various 5W amps that are available now.

There's also a Vox 5W which is pretty good as well.

3. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    I'd try one out before hand. I didn't like it. I felt that either the speaker or the cabinet could not really give a fat guitar tone. More of Keith Richards tone. I'd checkout the Epiphone Valve Jr.

4. Has anyone else tried this amp.

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I borrowed one from a friend for a little while. I really liked it and definitely see the potential of upgrading/modding with some higher-grade components. I got it to stay pretty clean w/ lower-output humbuckers, but with some hot P90s it was screaming at the lowest volumes. I didn't get to try any single coils through it, but that's all my friend plays and he says it stays pretty clean, just on the edge of break-up, at pretty decent volumes.

I found that while it suffered from the "boxy" sound that a lot of these cheap low-wattage amps exhibit, it wasn't as bad as some I've seen.

What are you looking for tone-wise? Another one I have really liked is the Ibanez TSA-5. I've only played the head/1x12 cab, though, not the combo. The 5w, 1x10" combo is a little over your goal at $250, but probably worth checking out.

6. Well I was thinking about a small tube amp and a telecaster or les Paul for the jam room. I don't play guitar but like having other instruments for people to play. I have a classical guitar in there and a acoustic 6 string also. But think some electric gear would be a nice addition!

7. usually with tube amps "low power" and "clean headroom" are mutually exclusive.

That is, guitar players usually pick 100 watt amps for moderate volume clean and 20 watt amps for moderate volume distortion.

It is typically pretty difficult to get a clean tone out of a 5 watt tube amp without it being really quiet. These single ended Champ or Valve Junior type amps are also much more sensitive to what type of guitar is plugged in. It is virtually impossible to get a clean tone with some Champs and say a Les Paul with humbuckers, but you may get clean with a Telecaster.