1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender changed the Position of Pins?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mntl, Oct 3, 2009.

1. mntl

mntl

Jul 14, 2009
    Germany
    Hi Guys..

today i asked myself..and..got no answer concerning this:)

i have 2 precision basses, 1st made in 1975, 2nd in 1978..and there hase been made a change by fender, due to both are original in this, in the position of the strap pin.
    this change seems to be only done on p basses, so all my other jazzbasses have onne position for the pin.

if you look at the picture th 1975 is nearly parallel to the neck, that one of the 1978 is more in direction of the neck..

does anyone knows, when fender did changed this??
    answers would be like christmas:)

[​IMG]

2. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    Somebody at fender most likely said, "hey I think it's more comfortable to have the pin here instead of there."

I'm not being snarky, that's probably what happened.

3. mntl

mntl

Jul 14, 2009
    Germany
    this may be a possibel answer..but when did yome thought this is better here than there?:)
    probably it is a little piece in analyzing older fenders, thats why i am asking..i am interested in any detail..for playing sure it doens`t matter that much..okay the neck is little bit more upright..but..

4. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    It's probably just that a strap is a lot less likely to fall off if the strap button is perpendicular to it when you're wearing the bass, than if it is already leaning out.

5. WHEN is the question. WHEN, not why.

6. mntl

mntl

Jul 14, 2009
    Germany

7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It's not limited to your two basses...Fender has always been random with pin placement. The 50's basses were all over the place even within the same year.

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Definitly some time between late 1964 and 2008. ;)

IMG_0546-1-1.

9. mntl

mntl

Jul 14, 2009
    Germany
    really?:D

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    ;)

11. mntl

mntl

Jul 14, 2009
    Germany
    btw..two really beautiful basses..but THIS is not limited to your two basses:D