No longer available Fender CiJ Jaguar Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by VincentGrim, Aug 27, 2020.

1. VincentGrim

VincentGrim Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Price:
    Strings:
    This is my 'crafted in japan' Jaguar Bass. Just recorded my bands album on it and, whilst it was fun and I like the bass a lot, I just prefer playing my PJ models and don't want to turn this into one. I'm mostly fishing for some potential trades honestly and my cash prices are pretty firm (check reverb, these things are hiking and this is probably the best cost/condition ratio on the web atm).

Condition: Light nicks and dings, nothing major or easily photographed. The bass is in really great shape. When I got it the electronics desperately needed cleaning, but that was taken care of.

Mods: The pickguard and the knobs are unoriginal. It is currently in the shop waiting for a set of Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups. Stock pickups will be shipped to you as well

Price: $800+shipping CONUS.

Trade Interest: I'm getting into guitar more and more. I'd love to see some Epiphone Firebird's (Studio or the new ones). Fender offsets (jaguar/jazzmaster please. no stangs) with fixed bridges could be cool too. I'm sure some of yall have guitars lying around that you need to replace with a tasty bass.
    bass.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  2. VincentGrim

Aug 17, 2008
    Definitely eyeing them firebirds :bassist:

3. lala

lala Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Are you interested in any other guitars besides Fenders?

4. VincentGrim

Aug 17, 2008
    I’m primarily looking for A Epiphone/Gibson firebird. I would take a look at any offset/similar design though.

5. Nerve

Nerve

May 2, 2007
    This is a fantastic bass. I own one, but can't seem to pry it out of my friend's studio. It gets a lot use on all sorts of albums as his go-to tracking bass.

Highly recommended.

6. VincentGrim

Aug 17, 2008
    It's something I'll definitely be sad to see go, it just doesn't get the play time of my Troy Sanders jag. If I really wanted to move it I'd take some better pictures. It comes back from the shop soon with the Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups installed, so either there will be better photos or the sale will come down. We'll see!

Nerve likes this.
  7. I have one of these CIJ Jaguar Basses and it is a personal favorite. To the point that I'm scared to modify it....

8. VincentGrim

Aug 17, 2008
    They're crazy awesome. I really love the stock tone, nothing wrong with it. I'm just a big fan of those Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups...Put them in both of my PJ jaguar basses and it was a huge improvement. We'll see how they work in the CiJ.

If y'all keep complimenting these basses, I'm gonna end up keeping it (at least for a while). :unsure:

9. Nerve

Nerve

May 2, 2007
    Only thing I did is line the pickup cavity with copper tape. There's a lot going on in these basses and they could use the shielding.

Viggo51 likes this.
  10. dopejohnpaul

dopejohnpaul Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Bonaire, GA
    This was my favorite of all my basses for years. If only I get could it to be quiet, which is why I quit using it when I started touring. I’ve swapped to the noiseless pups. I’ve shielded everything. New pots and wiring. But I cannot get it quiet. I’m pretty sure it’s a Preamp issue. Is anyone else’s super noisy when in active mode?

Viggo51 likes this.
  11. VincentGrim

Aug 17, 2008
    This one isn't bad. I won't say that it's dead quiet, but the switch to noiseless pickups is born of taste rather than necessity. I recently recorded an album with this bass in stock configuration and in that (extremely controlled and modern) setting with the preamp and both pickups (parallel) engaged there was no obviously detectable hum in my clean signal.
    Now, on the flipside, our practice space is basically a dungeon. Likely outdated electronics, we're all close together, etc. It definitely hums a lot there, but then so do my other basses. ymmv. Based on reading about the bass on here, I expected the electronic issues to be significantly worse.

That being said and for the sake of discussion, I do think the electronics in these are needlessly extensive, so I can see they'd be pretty finicky. If I were keeping this bass, I would probably ditch the switchboard altogether.

12. BrianMarc

BrianMarc

Nov 30, 2011
    Just wondering, what is the scale of the neck and what is the width at the bolt?

13. Viggo51

Viggo51 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Portland Oregon
    Yep,
    Same issues here, added Lollars and shielded everything usually gets my other basses quiet?

14. dopejohnpaul

dopejohnpaul Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Bonaire, GA
    After doing a ton of research, it’s most definitely a Preamp issue. Most guys have fixed this with a swap. The downside is, no one makes s a Preamp that’s a direct replacement for the wiring/switching of the Jaguar, so While it completely quiets your bass, you end up losing some functionality (Loss off rollers, no active/passive or series/parallel). That’d be ok for most guys, who don’t fool with a lot of the tonal options when utilizing the switching it active eat rollers, but that’s a deal healer for me. Sorry to hijack the thread lol, maybe it’ll get you some more bumps/views. At the end of the day, these are incredibly beautiful sounding, looking, and playing instruments.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021