1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Classic 50's P pickup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WallyN, Mar 7, 2013.

1. WallyN

WallyN

Jan 11, 2013
    Hello,

I am absolutely loving my new classic 50's P but I have a question about the pickup. I have read conflicting reports that it as the same PU as a standard P but the fender website says otherwise. It says its a Vintage Split Single-Coil Precision BassĀ® my question is what does that mean?

2. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    Not sure but I think it's the same as the 50s Road Word P Bass, right?

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Not much.

It has -- or is supposed to have -- the same pickups as the American Standard did prior to 2012, the 61276/7 set. So do most Precisions other than the MIM Standard and USRIs.

Fender sometimes changes parts due to availability, thus the vague descriptions in their spec list on the product page.

If you want to be sure, pull one and take a look on the back.

4. WallyN

WallyN

Jan 11, 2013
    Yeah your right same as the road worn

5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Mine had plastic bobbins if that helps. It was an '06. "Vintage" just means it is "shaped like they were back when..." and is a term used to cover whatever they may throw in. Supposedly, they were getting the same as the US standards for a while but the specs have changed a few times since the 50's has been around.

6. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

I let mine go a couple of weeks ago only to make room for a '57 AVRI, which is awesome. Yet I miss that nice '50s P (2011 build). Great build quality and tone. Never checked the markings on the '50s Classic Series pup but it did sound exactly like a pre-2012 American Standard, especially on the open A string. Really strong pickup.

7. lolmont

lolmont

Jan 2, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm loving all the new fender pups. The pups in my 2012 American P bass are the best I've ever heard on a P bass. :smug:

side note just became a supporting member :hyper:

8. BassUli

BassUli

Dec 5, 2011
    Yes, I was a bit surprised when I read on other thread that these pickups are like those in Am.Std before 2012.

Comparing with the Custom Shop 60s (which are present in Am.Std 2012), this pickup in the Classic 50s is much more aggressive, IMO. So, I did some EQ'ing with more bass and rolling the tone off just a bit and it became much less sparkly. I'm digging.

(The interesting side of playing the Classic 50s is that when you grab an Am. Std. the neck feels much smaller :) )

9. IMO, classic 50's p is one of the all time best basses ever built by Fender...They got the whole package done right..They're still a good deal...You're still getting more than what you pay for with these instruments..

10. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    I just ordered new PUPs for my MIM 50's Classic P.
    I will be putting in a set of Duncan SPB 2's. I too want to hear if there will be a difference between them..It is a fun Bass to play, but have debated to switch the pick ups for over a year or so.

11. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    sorry for the off, but do these classic 50's P basses come only with maple fingerboard?

12. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    I bought ShowLow's Classic 50's P, and emailed Fender about the pup, and they confirmed to me both over the phone, and in an email that is is the same pup used in the American Standards prior to 2012. I can also attest that the build quality of this bass is great. Super solid, perfect fit and finish, etc. I have La Bella flats on the 50's P, which is what were on it when I bought it from ShowLow, and think it does a great job of capturing that old school sound. With that pup and those strings it gives a very thumpy, woody tone for sure. On my other P-bass, which is a '76, I have a Original '62 pup in it with Chromes and that bass is very punchy, growly and aggressive compared to the Classic 50's. Both are great, but sound very different. I have toyed around with the idea of also putting an Original '62 in the 50's Classic, but think I'll just keep it the way it is for now.

13. R&B

Yep, maple only. Try it, you'll like it! :)

14. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    So easy to say :D

15. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    ShowLow,
    Just curious, why did you sell yours?

I have came close, but like mine too much..It is just well built.

16. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    because I asked him to sell it to me ;)

17. R&B

Um, temporary insanity? Seriously, I only sold to make room for a '57 AVRI.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363721800.789611.

18. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Ahh..Excellent Choice. :D

19. BassUli

BassUli

Dec 5, 2011
    I've bought it with roundwounds and I'm planning to use flatwounds or that D'addario tapewound (with nylon). Before purchasing it, I was considering a pickup replacement. But after listening to it, I've changed my mind and I'm keeping it stock. I'll replace only the strings.

20. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Showlow, I have both the Classic '50s and the AV '57, and I use them interchangeably. I do tend to take the '50s to gigs, because the fiesta red shows up better under stage lighting than the '57.

If I ***HAD*** to choose one, it would be the '57, but I don't. The Classic '50s wins the bang-for-the-buck Oscar, especially since I got mine before the price increase. I changed out the pickup to a Basslines Quarter Pound on the '50s, and both are strung with TI Jazz Flats.

They feel and sound very similarly, and those two, along with my Classic '51 RI, are the only basses I touch any more.

Here's the '50s at a wedding reception last Saturday, hiding behind me.

[​IMG]

BillMason likes this.