Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Classic 60' Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimothyGroovy, Sep 18, 2005.

1. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I'm now searching a jazz bass for myself, since I have no enough money to buy a Mike Lull or sadowsky at this moment, so I will go for fender stuff (no Deluxe model) and mod it to a active bass. I have 2 options, 1. MIJ Ri 62' 2. MIM Classic 60'

Since my local music store don't carry many MIJ Fender basses, so I will go for a MIM classic 60' unless I get a good deal of MIJ on Internet. So I want to know some comments from you guys on MIM classic 60', I don't care MIA, MIJ, MIM model as long as they play good and sounds good.

I have an experience on Classic 60' today, when I go into the music store, I just saw the sexy Fender Jazz Bass on the wall and I'm wondering it is a USA 62' model, so I want to try it and I just found that it is a MIM model, :eek: I feel pretty impressed with the quality on this one! :D Guys, Any comment?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think the MIM 60's jazz is a very good bass. I've compered a couple of them in different stores to the MIA 62 RI and I liked the MIM sound, feel and playability better every time.

3. TimothyGroovy

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Thanks for quick reply, Nino. Any specific things that you can tell me about MIM 60's jazz which is better then MIJ one? In fact, I feel that MIM 60's is a bit close to MIA bass too. Also, the price is killer.

4. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I played one of the classic 60 mim's in GC not too long ago and was very impressed, I would say the quality is really high but not as high as the stock MIA jazzes i have played. The tone on the other hand was better to me but that is subjective. I would say its along the lines of a Geddy Lee jazz. I could definetly see these being as popular.

-Jason

5. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    I got one about 3 weeks ago....I Absolutely love this bass! The construction of it is every bit as good as the MIA 62' RI that I owned (and I wish I still owned). And with no big routing under the pickguard, you can take it off for that Jaco look!

As far as the bass itself, I just love the feel of it, good solid bass. And that sound! Gotta love those vintage pickups! I think this is one of the best dollar for dollar value bass that Fender makes.....and I just love showing mine off!!!!!

[​IMG]

6. oh man, the 60's MIM fender is killer! I picked one up a month ago at a local music store here in the limited edition Burgundy Mist Metallic with the matching headstock. I have to say, it's quite possibly my favorite bass I own. That's a weird thing too considering it's half the price of my sterling. They're both killer basses in their own respect, but I will never part with my jazz.

7. TimothyGroovy

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Alembicfive, your Fender is great, I will get one as same as yours :D . Is the pickups in classic 60's is a MIA pickup?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My advice to people looking for basses (and Timothy, I think you've just learned that) is not to nitpick about the details so much and look at the overall picture more. Does it have a good acoustic sound? Does it sound good when plugged in? Does it feel good in your hands? If it does, it doesn't matter if it's an American, a Japanese, a Mexican, Peruvian, Indian, Australian, or Iraqi.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you're planning on modding to active, the 60s jazz bass isn't the way to go IMO. Why don't you look at the new Jazz 24? It's active right out of the box with a very hot modern jazz bass tone. It may be more to your liking.

10. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I couldn't have said it better.

11. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    I am not sure is the pickups are MIA or not. The specs on the Fender web site are: 2 Standard Vintage Alnico Magnet Jazz Bass Single Coil Pickups

As far as I am concerned, they sound great....

12. TimothyGroovy

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    The reason that I go for Jazz classic 60's is that I want a traditional jazz bass with active electronic, also, the overall qulity of Jazz 24 is just not as good as Jazz classic I think. I have thinked of Deluxe series, but it is out of my budget. Thanks for your advice!

13. I have one of the burgundy mist ones and I like it a whole lot. Not much, if anything, to complain about, especially for the money. Just a good Jazz Bass.

14. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I feel the same way. IMO, I wasen't impressed by the 24F Jazz

15. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    It's very subjective. I thought it felt and sounded better.

16. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    That looks great, how much do they go new?

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That's an oxymoron.

18. TimothyGroovy

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Maybe I could say I want a traditional jazz bass and the neck feel while I can get a active bass sound from it (like Sadowsky, maybe.. :rolleyes: ). Somehow, I just can't feel happy with the passive sound.

19. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN

Sam Ash has the sun burst for $669 and black and white for $629.

I think its a really cool bass but for me $669 is kinda expensive for a mid level bass personaly. If I play it some more I may just change my mind though.

-Jason

20. I traded a Gibson Grabber for a nice used 60s Classic, which would come out to about $400 depending on how one values the Grabber. Having had the J now for a couple of months, I can say that I'd have no reservation about buying a new one if something happened to mine. Plays great, sounds great, not heavy...this is not your average Mexi Fender folks. Not that the MIM Fenders coming out now are all that bad for the $$$, but the 60's J is really a cut above. All in all, I'd take one of these over a USA. They are not $300 or $400 better than the Classic, if any in my opinion.

The new 50s P falls into that same category based on the one I played recently, but I can't go the C width neck.