1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender classic 60s jazz bass vs Fender roadworn 60s jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Leo Dale, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Leo Dale

Leo Dale

Jan 28, 2018
    I plan on getting my first fender jazz at some point in the future, I seem to have narrowed it down to two choices: Fender classic 60s jazz bass or a Fender roadworn series jazz bass (the fiesta red one, hehe). I've tried a fender classic 60s jazz bass, roadworn I haven't. From what I can tell from videos the roadworn seems to be a bit more mellow overall. However they seem almost identical in many respects, is there any real difference?

2. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    I've owned the RW 60's Jazz, but not the Classic 60's, but I think the neck profiles are different, and the RW 60's body is a little thinner than your current standard model Jazz body. Not sure if the Classic 60's J has a thinner body or not.

3. Leo Dale

Leo Dale

Jan 28, 2018
    Neck profiles are the same, according to what I've found.

4. Body and neck are the same. The relic process is the only difference... and it does make a big difference in feel. They sound as identical as any other two jazz basses made by Fender.

JoeyMashed likes this.
  5. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Leo, both basses are very good Fender products. To my ears, the RW has a more rounded warmer sound. Not by a lot though. The feel is what the Road Worn series has going for it. The neck's edges are rounded and worn feeling which gives it a very comfortable feel.

I have a RW Jazz (Sunburst), RW Precision (Sunburst) and am in the middle of a build using a RW Precision Fiesta Red body and RW Jazz neck. None of these weigh more than 8.5 lbs.

So my pick would be Road Worn Jazz although that 60's Jazz is a fine instrument.

6. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    If only the road worn came in oly white!

Brian Crawford and Crusher47 like this.