1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Classic 70s Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deaky, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Deaky

Deaky

Oct 24, 2006
    Hi all

Does anyone have any reviews or opinions on the Classic 70s Jazz..

Any help would be much appreciated..

Stuart:bassist:

2. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Nice bass for the money...anything specific you are wanting to know?

3. I just bought one and found the workmanship to be impeccable. It is very quiet for a j-bass, and the pickups have a pronouced growl and an innate aggressiveness, perhaps due in part to the bridge pickup being closer to the bridge. The binding is very well applied, and the frets even and smooth. I did tweak the truss a tad upon arrival, and the bullet-rod is super-easy and smooth to work. The finish is better in person, and the seams virtually indistinguishable. The stock bridge--much maligned in some quarters--seems stable and is smoother in its adjustment than I recall the bent-plates to be. The tuners are fine, and the stamped "Fender" on them is a nice touch. The rosewood board is fine-grained and dark. The neck plate does not have the "F" on it, and is four-bolt, though this is an improvement over the three-bolt system I had on my old "real" '78 jazz (which was not a great instrument by today's standards). One cosmetic touch; the "made in mexico" stamp is on the back of the headstock. The neck is supposedly chunkier than most j-basses, but I found it slim and extremely playable--of course, I usually play a Stringray, so that might be my bias. I'm looking to get a tort guard for it, and am still wondering if the 70s pattern aftermarkets available will fit; guess I'll have to try and let everyone know.

001-2-1-1.